ronnyb

Embedded Document > Save As… disabled

Hello friends,

I placed a layered APh file into another file that's a comp. I edited the embedded APh file several times, so my original embedded doc as saved on disk is outdated. I now want to save out the embedded file as it's own file back to disk. When I go to edit the embedded document, Save As… is grayed out. What's the best way to save my file back to disk?

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

46 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Hello friends,

I placed a layered APh file into another file that's a comp. I edited the embedded APh file several times, so my original embedded doc as saved on disk is outdated. I now want to save out the embedded file as it's own file back to disk. When I go to edit the embedded document, Save As… is grayed out. What's the best way to save my file back to disk?

You want to save the edits you did to the embedded file to the original file? Sadly you can't, I believe the reasoning behind this is to prevent over writing the original which may well be linked to dozens of other documents. I can understand why you may want to save a copy and I don't understand the reason we can't but here is a possible solution.

Save the whole document as a copy, delete everything except the layered APh file. save that copy and see what happens when you open it in Affinity Photo. I am guessing you could 'extract' the edited file.

I know my description is maybe as clear as mud, early for me.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.1 | Affinity Photo 1.7.1 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.1

Edit the embedded document within the original document

Select all layers in the layer panel

Edit > Copy

File > New From Clipboard

File > Save as

See if that works, don't have time to test it today

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

Edit the embedded document within the original document

Select all layers in the layer panel

Edit > Copy

File > New From Clipboard

File > Save as

See if that works, don't have time to test it today

APh crashes when I try this method... it's a 1.3+ GB file. However, I noticed New from Clipboard was active when I relaunched APh. And indeed it copied all the layers! Thanks for the tip :)

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra