You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Automatic text windows in master

Hello

Sameone know how i can create automatic text windows on master for having all pages with a text window automattically chained each other?

In Quark I put a window on master and I fond the same window on all pages.

Thanks

I hope you mean text frames.

That's not possible at the moment but this feature is being worked on and will be released in a future beta version.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

You can't do it on a Master yet, but you can do it on a standard document page.

Put a Text Frame on the page. Insert or paste all your text into it.

The text will overflow, but that's OK. Now shift-click on the red link icon (the triangle next to the red eye icon). Publisher will duplicate the page as many times as needed to handle all the overflow text.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you, this is good for a book with all pages with tha same layout, but:

1. if I have to to modify layout I need to modify EACH page

2. When there are more than 1 text frame the method don't work well (create other pages)

3. In Xprees I can create many text frames and the text flow from one to another and I can control jumping in the right frame (see the sample)

Thanks

Untitled drawing.jpg

This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for (In QuarkXPress there's a really insignificant box called 'Automatic Text Box' right at the start of setting up a new document, which does this for me)

However, the whole package seems so unstable still (beta 1.70.157) and keeps crashing a fairly powerful iMac (3.4 GHz Intel Core i5), so I can't actually create a document longer than about 10 pages :-(

Also the actually Text Frame itself seems really easy to move accidentally (Am I meant to lock it in position?)

41 minutes ago, Cap said:

For now it is impossible to work without a master with frames

I agree that having them on a Master would help, but I'm curious what you were trying to accomplish? Knowing that we might be able to suggest something different you could try.

In your example Publisher did exactly what I would have expected it to do, given the text frame configuration you had.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Well Walt

I try to explain the works i often hava to do:

I have a title, same information, a text and an author. The various part are divided with a "new frame" tag.

I import all and the book (almost one hundred pages) is almos complete.

You can see the attachemente and also the complete book at http://www.capellini.ch/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/polpette.pdf

sample.jpg

I've worked on diaries and calendars where I need more than 1 main text flow per page. In fact I needed 5. It would be great if Affinity team managed to come up with something that would allow us to have more than 1 story flowing through the pages. That would really be awesome and would set apart this app from the others.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

10 minutes ago, Seneca said:

I've worked on diaries and calendars where I need more than 1 main text flow per page. In fact I needed 5. It would be great if Affinity team managed to come up with something that would allow us to have more than 1 story flowing through the pages. That would really be awesome and would set apart this app from the others.

I've used two and more stories flowing through frames in both ID and Q. All it takes are master page text frames.

However, Ventura Publisher was best at this. Heck, one didn't even need a base page frame and text could be from a multitude of different word processors and the underlying text from those word processors could be edited and updated.

There's not much new under the sun as regards a robust layout application. Chances are whatever feature on discusses has been done before. 

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

All it takes are master page text frames

You could do it with inDesign earlier but then Adobe stopped supporting that. You now have only 1 main story text that can flow from page to page automatically and other text frames need to be connected manually to achieve independent text flow of other stories.

I was never fond of Q but I realise that this is a very personal thing.

24 minutes ago, Seneca said:

You could do it with inDesign earlier but then Adobe stopped supporting that. You now have only 1 main story text that can flow from page to page automatically and other text frames need to be connected manually to achieve independent text flow of other stories.

I was never fond of Q but I realise that this is a very personal thing.

It's still doable but since CS6 (I think) how one goes about it is different.

In any case how master page text frames are handled in APub do simply need to change. Here's hoping for the best of all systems!

For now, you can create a first page with your frames linked, duplicate this page many times, and link from bottom frame on a page to the top one on the next page.

A lot of click for 100 pages, but if you need to check and adjust each page, it's doable, only one more click.

32 minutes ago, Wosven said:

For now, you can create a first page with your frames linked, duplicate this page many times, and link from bottom frame on a page to the top one on the next page.

A lot of click for 100 pages, but if you need to check and adjust each page, it's doable, only one more click.

1 page to two, two to four, four to eight, etc. Only need to join at each "to" so it is only very tedious.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Yes, but if you spend time checking your text, checking "little words" are not alone at the end of line, or making nice line break to keep logical part of sentences together, that's nothing.
I just finished checking this sort of thing and more in a 730 pages document, and I'm sure we'll have overlooked small details... but doing a click among a lot of other one is not really important when you do this.

The real problem is be the lack of frame's styles, if you realize you need wider frames, and need to select each one and enter a new value (select frame, select entry, use mouse or keyboard to change value, etc.). At least here, you can have the 3-4 main frames linked.

Another interesting feature would be to have options for text styles to spread more than one column: this example would only need 2 frames (but no way to have it all done at one with the last frame at the bottom).

47 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Yes, but if you spend time checking your text, checking "little words" are not alone at the end of line, or making nice line break to keep logical part of sentences together, that's nothing.
I just finished checking this sort of thing and more in a 730 pages document, and I'm sure we'll have overlooked small details... but doing a click among a lot of other one is not really important when you do this.

The real problem is be the lack of frame's styles, if you realize you need wider frames, and need to select each one and enter a new value (select frame, select entry, use mouse or keyboard to change value, etc.). At least here, you can have the 3-4 main frames linked.

Another interesting feature would be to have options for text styles to spread more than one column: this example would only need 2 frames (but no way to have it all done at one with the last frame at the bottom).

All these would be simpler problems if we could just set the frames on the Master Pages, as much as I like this Beta I have to say I am not sure I'll be purchasing it until that is set up.

"The real problem is be the lack of frame's styles" ... The Paragraph styles are great for this sort of thing. You should see what can be done with the Flow options in the Paragraph Styles. And again changing the width of one frame on a Master page is so much easier once we have that ability. The two tall frames in the example 

9 hours ago, Cap said:

sample.jpg

can in fact be one Text Frame and the break can done with the Flow option "Start: In Next Column".

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

25 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The real problem is be the lack of frame's styles

I know we can't have everything on the first release but I hope that in not too distant future we will get proper Object Styles in Publisher as per inDesign.

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

All these would be simpler problems if we could just set the frames on the Master Pages […]

"The real problem is be the lack of frame's styles" ... The Paragraph styles are great for this sort of thing.

Yes, it would be usefull to have them on the Master pages.

Paragraph styles ans Object styles are different things with different purpose. One can't replace the other, and object on Master pages can't replace this use.

6 hours ago, Seneca said:

I know we can't have everything on the first release

I'm impressed with the work done so far and between each Bêta release. I don't worry, they only need time to thinks about solutions and add them.

9 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

sample.jpg

I did try that design too. Basically Publisher should repeat the frame design of first page when using autoflow but unfortunately that does not happen, only the last frame is used in added pages.

It is single frame + single story only for autoflow/autopagination for now. Limits design severely, I hope devs can produce a solution for it, preferably with master page tools.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be redundant, but... InDesign and QuarkXpress both allow text frames to be defined on master pages, and used on document pages. To have to add frames on document pages that merely duplicate what you can see from the master page, and link them over and over again is counterproductive. Looking at how the competition provides these capabilities should carry over into the design of a competitive product. If you can improve on them, fine!