You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug - cannot open png or jpeg files in affinity publisher after update

How are you attempting to open these files?

I've just tested this on my machine, using the Place Image tool on the left toolbar, selecting the image and then clicking on the previously-opened blank document.  The image is there, in the document, no problem.  (Running the latest beta.)

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Thank you for for the response, emmrecs01. I meant if you try to open via file - > open. I sometimes prefer to open such files separately first to check the doc settings etc and then to place them into a design. But I am not a professional, so maybe it's just me...

I suspect File>Open is intended to be mainly/solely for existing APub files, though I'm not sure.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

I'm on .157 (latest beta) and I have no problem using File > Open to open files, whether they're Affinity files, or document files, or image files (TIFF, etc.)

filetypes.png.f803c381c886445b40b40ca3c8216813.png

Edit: Hmmm, now I see the same problem. Not sure why I thought it worked earlier. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm on .157 (latest beta) and I have no problem using File > Open to open files, whether they're Affinity files, or document files, or image files (TIFF, etc.)

filetypes.png.f803c381c886445b40b40ca3c8216813.png

On Windows 8.0

Cant see jpg or png files (may be others) when using that option

But File > Open still works if you specify the file name.  e.g.  dog.jpg

Or to actually see all the files just manually put    *.*    in the file name field

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 4 months later...
On 11/6/2018 at 8:59 AM, Chris_K said:

It is quite rare that you would start a DTP project from opening an image file, that more something for Photo or possibly Designer so this is intentional, but not uncommon for DTP apps

If it is intentional, then the implementation is incomplete. It is still possible to:

• Use File > Open and in the dialog box, type the name of a .png/.jpg/.tiff file into the filename field. If that file exists, it will be opened even though it is not visible in the file selection list.
  • Drag a .png/.jpg/.tiff file onto the Publisher toolbar, which will open the file.
  • Having done one of the above, File > Open Recent will show the .png/.jpg/.tiff file and allow it to be opened again.

It might be better to allow the files to be opened directly, than to implement this artificial and ineffective restriction :) (though, possibly, the default setting in the Open dialog should be one that will filter them out).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

10 hours ago, MikeW said:

Likely, at least in Windows, you can type *.jpg to see that image type in the file area.

Yes, that works, too. Once you press Enter Windows filters the list to include only matching files, even though Publisher chose not to show them initially.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.