You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is guides/crop to selection possible? (Split)

Is there an option to make guides from a selection?  You can easily have a crop snap (manually dragging that is) to a guide.  I haven't been able to get a crop to snap to a selection box... would eliminate that step if I could.  

Anyways, what I am doing is making a selection, snapping guides, snapping a crop, hitting enter.  works on a 4 sided shape, but not an irregular or circular shape.

Document --> clip canvas also kind of get's me where I'm trying to go sometimes... 

I would love a crop to selection option as well however... just to throw my name in the hat.  

Have you tried New From Clipboard?

• Make your selection
  • Copy your selection Edit > Copy
  • Now create a new document from that copy using File > New From Clipboard

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Turn off any layer you don't need to show in the image
  • Select all the layers you want
  • Right click and select Merge Visible (This is a non-destructive process and will make a merged copy of all the layers you selected, those layers will stay as they are all you will have done is make a "Compilation Layer," a Merged Layer)
  • Now File > Copy from the merged layer

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Your "Sparks" layer is an Image layer, you cant do a selection on an image layer and just copy that selection to a new document.

At the very least you would need to rasterise that layer to get the results you expected.

There may be other stuff but try that first

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks all for the help.  If there isn't a plan on the roadmap to enhance this cropping feature, I guess that I'll have to learn how to deal with it.  The Photoshop version has been a major part of my workflow, but it seems I'll have to do it this way.