You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing nested formats

Hi,

i need "nested formats". Hope they will be integrated. E. g. if i layout a "Menu" then i go with tab to a defined Position and need there an other Format for the Text. Like the sample below.

Description e. g. Glass of milk                                             200 ml                               1,80 €  

I want the Format for the Text changes if i insert a "Tab" or other defined operations.

This is an often requested Publisher feature on this forum.

Nobody knows when it is going to be implemented though.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

The specific example seems more appropriate for a Table than for a Text Frame, in my opinion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The specific example seems more appropriate for a Table than for a Text Frame, in my opinion.

A one liner like this is not a good example of using a table, in MHO. You could, of course, use a table here if you wanted to but it would really be an overkill.

The example above is mostly used in catalogues where each product has its own line of specs. In a book catalogue you could have Number of Pages, Dimension, Price, etc.
In cases like these automatic paragraph styles are a god-send. You only need to deal with text and nothing else.

Whether you prepare your text outside of a publishing application or not you can format the entire text in one fell swoop.

Of course one could use a script to format all the tables, if a given application supports, it but that wold be an extra step and potentially a lot of extra steps.

In cases where a catalogue calls for a number of lines per product a table might be a better solution.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 4 years later...
On 11/8/2018 at 2:35 AM, Seneca said:

Nested Styles and GREP Styles.

Yeah, definitely. Adding these useful "pro" features to AP would be awesome! I wonder, though, if the guys at Serif are really serious about targeting those professional users (too), who would really need it on a daily basis and appreciate it accordingly...

On 11/6/2018 at 4:16 PM, Seneca said:

Whether you prepare your text outside of a publishing application or not you can format the entire text in one fell swoop.

In some apps (notably Word 5.1 for Mac), there was a brilliant function of rectangular selection in text.

When pressing Alt key, it was possible to draw a rectangle wherever above the text and selecting only the characters inside it. Thus it was very easy to change format of a vertical selection like a column… 

Alack I don't know any modern app that permits that nowadays. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

8 hours ago, Oufti said:

In some apps (notably Word 5.1 for Mac), there was a brilliant function of rectangular selection in text.

When pressing Alt key, it was possible to draw a rectangle wherever above the text and selecting only the characters inside it. Thus it was very easy to change format of a vertical selection like a column… 

Alack I don't know any modern app that permits that nowadays. 

Yes, I remember that well.  And the current 365 version of Word still does it.  Is that modern enough for you?  😃

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

How, it has been a very long time I did not give it a ride (v. 2011) and I must have forgotten (or is only on a given platform?). Thank you for the information.

Whatever, I think this method of selecting text would be welcome on Affinity as well. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

+1 for rectangular text selection

This feature dates back to the mainframe terminals with monospaced screen fonts. But it would be useful when editing a multi-column PDF in Affinity if the lines didn't form paragraphs correctly - when you drag select today you get text from both columns. With rectangular selection you could select the text in one column and then join the line ends after pasting.

But this is the v1 archive, perhaps it would be better to suggest it in the v2 feedback forum.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)