You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Graphic Interface

Currently the only way to improve viewability of the text is to turn up the ipads brightness control. Requests for greater contrast have largely been ignored. :(

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

26 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Currently the only way to improve viewability of the text is to turn up the ipads brightness control. Requests for greater contrast have largely been ignored. :(

I hardly used the Desktop version until Serif introduced the light interface and have great difficulties with the iPad. The button I use the most is the Tooltip ?.

I don't understand their fetish with black unreadable interfaces :(

Great software ruined by an awful interface IMHO. I really like the software with the light interface though, so I'm hoping they will see reason and listen to the complaints. At least a choice between unreadable black and usable light interfaces for normal people.

It is even worse for people who have less than 20/20 vision, like most of us.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

YES PLEASE. AT 65 I NEED BLACK LETTERS NOT GREY CANT READ LETTERS PLEASE UPGRADE TO LIGHT MODE THANK YOU REMEMBER ADOBES COMING LOL. ALSO QUESTION ARE YOU WORKING ON GETTING MORE PLUG INS IE TOPAZ PORTRAITURE ON ONE SOFTWARE THX DENNIS GREAT SOFTWARE FLYS ON NEW IPAD PRO

• 8 months later...

Here the same! I have good eyes, but when working in bright light (eg outside) you can not really see the icons very well.

The file system also remains annoying. I read that many people would like a similar system as in, for example, Linea or Procreate.

• 3 months later...

I don't know why dark interfaces are a primary target. A dark UI is useful in the evening and in rooms with very less light, but on daytime it is often really bad to work, especially on an glossy iPad which easy reflects lights and other things.
The light UI on the desktop Version took very long and I hope we don't have to wait this long for iOS Versions.
I don't use Adobe's Software anymore, but one of the great things I like to mention is that there was four UI Settings in CS6 which you can easy swap with a simple key command. I used mostly the light grey one - very pleasant for the eyes, during the day as well as in the evening. In Affinity you have to go in your settings and it isn't possible to set the gamma to a darker grey. I hope the Affinity Team can give this more attention in future releases. *please*

photoshop-cs6-color-theme.jpg.fd0885e1fe217749547361329d4dc11d.jpg

7 hours ago, m-b said:

A dark UI is useful in the evening and in rooms with very less light

Just want to supplement: In dark rooms the contrast does not magically become great with the dark UI. It is still bad, meaning it is difficult to read the dark icons and to discern the dark symbols I define with the symbols studio.

The one useful thing of the dark UI in dark rooms is the low contrast between the room an the  screen. But what you are really after here, is the brightness of the screen.

Apple has of course thought of that and built it in. Any iPad has a brightness regulator, easily pulled down from the upper, right corner. Lower the brightness, and the screen is pleasant to look at in dark rooms, and in good UI-programs (aka light themed) the contrast is still good with the icons, i.e. they are easy to read.

So for readability (aka good UI) use light theme, and regulate brightness to match the room light.

Otherwise I fully agree with you, including the idea to easily switch between light/dark themes. I might select between lighter themes, and some people with sharp eyes (mostly young, I guess) will love the darker themes.

• 8 months later...

The dark interface is almost unreadable for me. Ideally users should be able to choose the light/dark interface that works for them. Also is there anyway to increase the size of the icons??? The tiny icons might work for a 20 yer old, but I bet most of your users aren’t in their 20s any longer and rely on reading glasses. 

• 2 months later...

Completely agree with the above points! 

I’ve just started to trial using Affinity on my desktop mac, but since I can’t use it on the iPad (where I do most of my drawings) in such a way that I can actually see the interface, shall stick to Tayasui Sketches. Not impressed with this juvenile addiction to gothic. Time for a new app update, Affinity.

Edited by janbow