The all caps feature in Designer doesn't capitalize Greek properly. I didn't test it in the other apps. For example, in AI, when I set the phrase βοτανολόγος στραγγαλίζει μαργαρίτα to capitals (TT), it appears as ΒΟΤΑΝΟΛΟΓΟΣ ΣΤΡΑΓΓΑΛΙΖΕΙ ΜΑΡΓΑΡΙΤΑ. When I do the same in Designer, it appears as ΒΟΤΑΝΟΛΌΓΟΣ ΣΤΡΑΓΓΑΛΊΖΕΙ ΜΑΡΓΑΡΊΤΑ. See the extra tonos? They look a bit like quotes in front of some of the vowels. They're supposed to disappear when setting all caps. Here's a page which explains the case conversion rules for Greek.

Hi Raymond Larabie :)

Thanks for your report. Are you using the same font between Ai and AD? Which font is this please?

AFAIK typography settings are based on the selected font and Affinity should simply convert lower to upper case using the table that the font itself provides, however something does not appear to be correct here.

14 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for your report. Are you using the same font between Ai and AD? Which font is this please?...

You can just set that phrase using Times New Roman or Arial to demonstrate the issue.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Yes, the same font. I tried it with a few Windows core fonts but I was working on a specimen for Steelfish which you can get free. 1001fonts.com

From what I understood from the explanation in the link, the rules are different when applying a capital at the beginning of a word vs ALL CAPS. For example, in Title Case, a word starting with ό would start with Ό...the tonos accent being on the left. But when you set a line in ALL CAPS, the ό would be replaced with Ο (no accent).

While there was discussion in the type design community of using the [case] feature to make the tonos vanish in ALL CAPS Greek, I don't think it ever caught on. I'm not even close to being an expert on Greek but if you need convincing that the tonos shouldn't be showing up in all caps Greek do a Google image search for Greek newspapers and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for that, reading through the article originally provided and a few others I'm inclined to agree with title case words requiring a tonos at the start of the sentence, but otherwise this should be without tonos.

I'll log this with our developers for further investigation :)

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the 1.7 Windows release.