Gavin W.

Focus merging, stacking, opening multiple files causes total computer freezes

When performing processor-intense tasks such as focus merges, stacks, and panoramas I often experience total freeze ups of my computer.  The more files I use in a focus merge, stack, panorama, etc the higher the chance the I will experience the freeze.  The computer lags for a few seconds before it stops responding.  I lose control of both the mouse and the keyboard.  The clock no longer updates.  The computer will stay in this state for seemingly forever until I unplug it or soft restart it.  It will not turn off properly.  I have also experienced this same issue when opening up many files at once (10< raw files).  I really am not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, but I have never experienced these issues in any other program.

Notes:

- I have tried the customer beta and did not notice a difference.

- This issue is extremely easy to replicate. 

- The only other problems I have experienced with this program was one minor crash, and files sometimes not saving.

Hi Gavin W,

Thanks for your post,

Does this issue seem to occur when working with the mentioned RAW files specifically or does this happen for you with any files that are used?

On 11/5/2018 at 12:33 AM, Gavin W. said:

Focus merge of 30 raw images 

Does the crash still occur when working with less images? I am trying to determine if the crash is related to a memory issue or if it is file specific. 

The crash does not occur with less images.  This stack was 30 images and several previous stacks of around 10 images (also raw) worked just fine.  For most of my focus stacks 10 images is not enough.

I tried it with a different stack of jpegs and I easily managed to replicate the results I had with the raws.  So basically I am able to get it to freeze up with any files that I attempt to stack (if I have enough). 

On 11/7/2018 at 8:20 AM, JFisher said:

Does the crash still occur when working with less images? I am trying to determine if the crash is related to a memory issue or if it is file specific. 

If it is a memory issue would it be a good idea to upgrade my ram?  I have more than 2gb free and according to the system requirements for affinity photo that should be plenty.

I've also ran multiple tests on my ram and found no issues.

It might be the case of your laptop config. It's not only RAM but also swap file, graphics card and general performance. 30 raw files might be simply too much.

On 11/16/2018 at 4:04 PM, Gavin W. said:

Why does my computer lock up when I stack too many files rather then just slow down?   

Because if you run out of physical memory, Windows will start paging memory to disk, which is significantly slower. If you're doing a process which already reads or writes to disks, then this can compound the problem. Essentially you will start running out of all resources (CPU, memory, disk).