You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please help, Affinity photo keeps crashing

Hi all,

new to affinity photo and looking forward too using it, but I have a problem.

I have opened photo for the first time (windows 10 version) and tried to open my raw files, these are Nikon nef from my d810. 

As soon as they start to load affinity flashes up with an error message that goes off very quickly and shuts the program.?

The raw files are readable and viewable in widows 10 photo viewer, and I was able too open them in Lightroom, before I cancelled my subscription.

At a bit of a loss with it now, do I need to convert my files with the Nikon software (never installed or used it), or do anything to the affinity setting to let the software open them?

regards nik

• Staff

Hi Nikhays,

Welcome to the forums :)

If possible could you send me a screenshot of the error that appears along with the file in question so I can look into this further for you?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum,

Thanks for the reply, not sure if I could get a screen shot as it flashes up then closes affinity very quickly, error then gone?

As for a file I will send one over, but it is with all my raw files?

I have sent the error diagnostic report log with my email when I happens.

I will see what I can get for you when I get home later.

Cheers nik

I just downloaded version 1.6.5.135 and everytime I try to close/exit the program, I get a popup "Quiting - At least one file is currently being opened. Please wit for files to load before quiting the application."  But I am not waiting for any file to load.  I have to Control-Alt-Delete and close it by the Task Manager.  Never had this problem before the new download.

Windows 8.1 64 bit, 32G Ram

error message.jpg

More errors!!!!!

Thought I would look at the sample images that come up on the opening splash screen, did the click at the new document and get the next window to setup document size etc. click OK and get the same result.

Going to Uninstall the program and try again.

1534867129_Splashscreen.thumb.jpg.5de78bb31b10ce09ba3db1ad954641e2.jpg687901517_Docsetup.thumb.jpg.5c143052c9a7e2d493c5d6d32394b0e5.jpg706137794_Sameerror.thumb.jpg.ad29684595e07e8ba75a53b92b271fc9.jpg

3 hours ago, Nikhays said:

Hi Callum,

Did any of the files open up for you?

Obviously, I am not Callum & I am a Mac users, but for what little it is worth, both of your NEF files open without problems for me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yeah, did Dell clean up and full system check....everything is ok.

I am going to do an installation on my wife's desktop to see if it only doing it with my laptop. After that I've only got 7 days left to do a refund. Might still go down the Mac route with an older MacBook.

I could always try a demo version later on before buying it again shame really it looks great on YouTube.

some possible software issues;
the installed .NET Framework could be broken or the c++ Libraries could be botched up.
I think Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 redistributable needs to  be installed for Affinity Photo to work.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Great news.......I managed to get it working last night. 

Had a good hard think about what it's trying to do and decided to investigate my graphics settings. In the nvidia card setting, I have set the affinity program to base setting with 3D to quality and set it to auto rather than force any type of profile.

not sure if this is optimum for it? But it now works.

Opened up my raw files and let me create a new blank document without the error message.

Cheers Nik

On 11/5/2018 at 7:42 AM, MEB said:

Hi DBARTON,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Press and hold CTRL while launching the app until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Keep the first three checkboxes ticked and press Clear. The program should then behave properly.

I tried it several times, and unfortunately I still get the message and can only close by using Task Manager.  Any other options perhaps?

SOLVED!  A temp file  was saved and evidently is causing the problem.  In the Window's run dialog box, type in %AppData%\Affinity\Photo. Explorer opens up.  Go to the temp folder, and delete the file in the temp folder.  You'll still have to use the task manager to close it but the next time you open it, it should close without the popup message and having to use the task manager.