You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image is placed with wrong resolution

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Then the other images that exhibit this also don't have that information or is improperly written into those two informational fields.

Any image editor should be able to set the DPI to whatever you want it to be. Here's the window in APhoto. Note the unchecked Resample box.

capture-002302.png.ca0d033f71f49e41f0f4cb670ea887e3.png

In the above case, you will also need to Export the changed file as APhoto by default wants to save an APhoto version which nothing outside of Affinity applications can use.

Also, remember that these DPI fields are literally just information. It has no bearing on the quality or resolution of the image. So in the above example, no pixels were altered, there are the same number of pixels as what I started with. Importantly, that image will place by a single click sized properly.

fwiw, I use a different image editor despite having APhoto. I've used it for a long, long time and prefer it. But they work pretty identically in this regard.

These things are all very familiar to me. I am professionally busy with publishing. The only problem was the one-click placement, if I had adjusted the resolution or the size before with an image processing program (Photoshop). And I couldn't understand why this works in InDesign and not in APub.

In the meantime I have found out the following: If I change the resolution to APh and save it, or open and save a modified image in APh, it works. This means that APub only accepts a changed resolution if the serif software has done so.

Interesting: InDesign accepts resolution changes from both Photoshop and APub.

It would be interesting to know if this is intentional or an error.

Whether I use Photoshop or Photoline or Affinity Photo or Corel Paint or any other image editor doesn't matter. They all work the same. They all can set the same dpi field and all my layout software, including APub, then places them correctly. 

Mike

To illustrate what I wrote above, the below was taken after I opened your example image in each of the 3 applications listed below the image. I opened the sample image, changed only the DPI info and saved the image under a new name. Then in APub, I placed each of those 3 image by just clicking on the page. This is exactly how ID, QXP & Viva Designer Pro also place those images. As do a few vector editors I use.

capture-002305.thumb.png.502fa79c856dc5ea2ab79a6939c7bf85.png

21 minutes ago, Michail said:

Look at the whole thread. You have to decide which of what you say is right. One thing can only be right.

Where has @MikeW contradicted himself in this thread? o.O

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

MikeW is very much correct about dpi in general, but this is actually a bug. It affects our current releases too, we are ignoring the dpi/ppi set in xmp data and thefore defaulting to 72. You will find if you created something rather than using a camera image it would place as expected. Just to add some confusion we tend to use dpi ans a blanket term for both dpi and ppi. But there are already a number of large threads on this topic to be found elsewhere in the forum

We have an existing report for this which I shall update

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

MikeW is very much correct about dpi in general, but this is actually a bug. It affects our current releases too, we are ignoring the dpi/ppi set in xmp data and thefore defaulting to 72. You will find if you created something rather than using a camera image it would place as expected. Just to add some confusion we tend to use dpi ans a blanket term for both dpi and ppi. But there are already a number of large threads on this topic to be found elsewhere in the forum

We have an existing report for this which I shall update

It may be a general bug, but I have no such issues if the DPI is correctly set in an image. All layout applications, vector design applications, etc., treat improperly set DPI in an image the same. As well, all the aforementioned application types (which includes ID, QXP, Viva Designer Pro, APhoto, APub and AD), all read the DPI info field and if less than a default amount, like in the case of the image at the beginning of the thread, assume 72/96 dpi, depending upon the OS involved. However, once set, all those applications place/open the image properly.

I believe the issue in Affinity applications is that most/many cameras that do supply the dpi information do not write the JFIF resolution unit into the file. So while the DPI may be set to say 180 DPI, and the resolution unit may be written in (in my case, Inches), the missing JFIF field throws off Affinity applications but not other applications. If this is the case with Affinity applications, then that field should not be being used and Affinity applications should assume a value of 1 or 2 (which if I recall is explicitly inches). Affinity Photo (and PS, PL, etc.) uses the value of 1.01 in the JFIF field and seems therefore a safe value to assume.

However, any image editor application will/can, when exporting out such an image I have described, write the JFIF field correctly. This applies to Affinity Photo too. These images then place properly in APub.

The solution seems simple. Stop using the JFIF field.

Mike

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.