You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why did Affinity switch to the wrong typeface?

What sort of settings do you have for Styles (Paragraph &/or Characters)? Sometimes they get applied by accident.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Clearer screenshots would help?

Which app are you in?

Which Operating System are you using?

HanziPen SC is an iOS font, is this a downloaded font?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

What’s unclear about the screenshot provided? :/

Which app are you in?

I’m guessing AD, but I don’t think it should matter.

I believe the OP is Mac user.

HanziPen SC is an iOS font, is this a downloaded font?

I wondered about that, too! I believe the other font, Apple Chancery, is provided with macOS.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I think your replies qualify all of my questions lol! especially the first one lol!

The HanziPen SC font isn't downloadable it comes bundled with iOS10, as far as I am aware. See post further down

I suspect this is an iPad question, in which case it should be in the iPad forum section, not here.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

41 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I believe the OP is Mac user.

Since Font Book is a Mac app, that is a safe assumption ... but he also could be an iPad user.  stirthepot.gif

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

27 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

The HanziPen SC font isn't downloadable it comes bundled with iOS10, as far as I am aware.

That’s what I thought, too, Dex. I’m on iOS 12.0.1 now, and I don’t have HanziPen SC here, so I guess it must have been removed in an update.

Alfred spacer.png

I agree Alfred, very odd, its not an unpleasant font and lends itself to the hand-written genre fairly well.

Just done a bit of digging and HanziPen SC doesn't appear in any iOS preinstalled font lists I can find but it does appear here as an iOS font just not preinstalled. According to this site its actually an iOS 7 font.

http://iosfontlist.com/#availability=10.0&search=Hanzipen

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Just done a bit of digging and HanziPen SC doesn't appear in any iOS preinstalled font lists I can find but it does appear here as an iOS font just not preinstalled. According to this site its actually an iOS 7 font.

http://iosfontlist.com/#availability=10.0&search=Hanzipen

It looks as though it can only be made available to individual apps which include the necessary coding to download it. I was hoping it would be possible to install a configuration profile in the usual way, so that it would be available globally.

Alfred spacer.png

Just now, firstdefence said:

Just done a bit of digging and HanziPen SC doesn't appear in any iOS font lists I can find.

It isn't on any of my iOS devices either, including my iPhone that originally shipped with iOS 7 installed.

However, according to this, it shipped as an installed font with OS X 10.9 Mavericks -- it may have shipped with an earlier version but I can't find any reliable info about that. In the more recent macOS versions, it was not included but as @>|< mentioned, it can be installed through Font Book. I am not exactly which was the first version not to include it, but according to this, it was a downloadable in macOS 10.12 Sierra.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Those HanziPen SC and HanziPen TC fonts are also among the default supplied system fonts in OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) as far as I have seen.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

To summarize, he opened the document on a machine without the font?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

3 minutes ago, >|< said:

The initial screenshot shows that the font is present on the machine.

How about this workflow Made on Mac edit on iPad opened on Mac...

I am just  speculating here because we haven"t heard back from @KipV yet.

37 minutes ago, >|< said:

The initial screenshot shows that the font is present on the machine.

Specifically, it shows that it is present in Font Book, which means it is present on his Mac. But because we can't see the second column of Font Book in his screenshot, we don't know if it is enabled or disabled (labeled "Off" in the 2nd column).

So we are still left guessing about that.

Affinity Photo 

11 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

What sort of settings do you have for Styles (Paragraph &/or Characters)? Sometimes they get applied by accident.

Set to none for both the character and paragraph styles.

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Which app are you in?

HanziPen SC is an iOS font, is this a downloaded font?

Affinity Designer, originally done on a Sierra machine now on High Sierra. I can't remember how I obtained the font.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Specifically, it shows that it is present in Font Book, which means it is present on his Mac. But because we can't see the second column of Font Book in his screenshot, we don't know if it is enabled or disabled (labeled "Off" in the 2nd column).

So we are still left guessing about that.

I attached the full Font Book screen shot.

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 6.06.08 AM.png

37 minutes ago, >|< said:

The font is obviously present and enabled. If not, the sample text would be mid-grey instead of black.

Enabled or disabled, all Font Book sample text on my Mac is black, and so are all the font names in column 2. It took a while to figure out that is because in System Preferences > Accessibility > Display the "Increase contrast" checkbox is ticked. That affects some apps more than others, so it is not always obvious if it is enabled or not. :S

Affinity Photo 

8 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I suspect this is an iPad question, in which case it should be in the iPad forum section, not here.

I have never owned an iPad just Macs with modern operating systems.

7 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It looks as though it can only be made available to individual apps which include the necessary coding to download it. I was hoping it would be possible to install a configuration profile in the usual way, so that it would be available globally. 

Affinity asked to download some fonts before opening this file but I am not sure why. I can't remember if I mentioned this but this file used to work fine for over a year.

I just found out if I type some new text and change it to HanziPen SC it works! But there is no way I can change that existing text over which means I have to go back and redo the spacing. You can see in the screen shot I typed it out on the pasteboard. In case anyone was wondering this was a school project where I had to convey the opposite of an emotion with text which is what I thought HanziPen represents. The one on the black background was the type I used to convey grief.

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 11.13.08 AM.png