drumnkyle

Pixel Perfect Drawing Not Possible

On 11/27/2018 at 5:48 PM, drumnkyle said:

IScreen Shot 2018-11-27 at 9.44.02 AM.png

This pixelation seems to be caused by the rectangle being slightly rotated. See the attached video ( Rotate.mov ). After correcting this rotation and then exporting it looks fine in macOS Preview:

1021102798_macOSPreview1.thumb.png.cd82d8dfacb0eb540c8fa9bb565ac836.png

1311962900_macOSPreview2.thumb.png.4a5955e8a1621e626a40966bc5a881ab.png

If I airdrop the same exported .png to an iPad and view in iOS Photos, I get the blurred edges as shown in the post from DM1. However, if you save the exported .png from iOS Photos to the Files app and reopen in Affinity Photo or Designer is appears exactly the same as it does in the macOS Preview app.

If I export Artboard 1 from AFD for iPad and then Airdrop the exported .png to my Mac and preview it in macOS Preview, it looks fine. I've attached an updated version of your file ( artboard_1.afdesign ) which only contains Artboard 1 with the rotation reset for you to try. I've also attached my exported artboard_1.png too.

artboard_1.png

If you're referring to the edge jumping when sliding between Vector and Pixels this also happens for me when using the same zoom level of just under 2,100,000%. If you turn on the grid and use a more reasonable zoom level, such as around 40,000%, you can see the object is aligned correctly to the pixel:

Thanks so much for all your detail @Leigh. I conferred with my designer friend and we inspected your artboard in Sketch and you're right. The iOS previewing mechanism is blurring it for some reason, but it is definitely correct!

Now, the question is why is it rotated that small amount? I'm assuming that's a bug in the app that you guys will have to fix? Is there a workaround from only having the iOS app for me to deal with that now?

If you check the History Studio you can see the rectangle was rotated slightly. You can reset the rotation in the Transform Studio by selecting the rectangle clicking Rotation and then OK.

This even happened when I created a new one from scratch though. Can you check into if here is maybe an issue with rectangle creation or something where it may rotate it? Maybe when you type in specific measurements in the transform studio. I never purposely rotated it and I did it from scratch numerous times in different documents @Leigh

8 hours ago, drumnkyle said:

This even happened when I created a new one from scratch though. Can you check into if here is maybe an issue with rectangle creation or something where it may rotate it? Maybe when you type in specific measurements in the transform studio. I never purposely rotated it and I did it from scratch numerous times in different documents @Leigh

I've tried a few times and haven't been able to recreate it. Does it happen on a new document? Are you using your finger or the Apple Pencil? Is it possible to record this happening?

You’re right. I think I had been using the iOS preview as a test which wasn’t accurate. This works correctly. The one I exported that was wrong I must’ve rotated accidentally st some point. I tried just now with both my fingers and the Apple Pencil and it worked fine. 

Thank you so much for all your help! I look forward to your DAM solution so I can start doing full photo editing on my iPad instead of still relying on Aperture.