You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help with pen tool making sides even

I'm slowly learning Affinity Photo and now how to use the pen tool. I'm scanning in hand-drawn art and using the pen to make the outline. But how do I make each side even?

The gold in the image is from my hand-drawing. The black outlines are using the pen. It's ok if it's off somewhat to give it a quirky look.

But I would like to know how to measure the sides to make them the same width. See how the left border of the A is thicker than the white border, for instance?

I haven't found any tutorials on this because I'm not sure what to look for. Also, was able to use the guides a bit, but now, they don't appear when I pull down or across from the ruler.

Screenshots would be helpful for how to do this.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate all the great help I've gotten in this forum.

Susan

edges1.JPG

Well the APhoto Pen tool has/offers nearly the same options as in ADesigner, so you can take a look at the Affinity Designer Tutorials for the Pen tool in order to see how to use that one and how to adjust it's settings etc. See here:

3. Drawing Lines and Shapes

•        Pen Power

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks. Yes, I had watched that previously. I think I understand how to work with the pen and nodes basically now. But my question is more about how to make sure one side equals the other after creating all the curves. So I would need more help, I think, with the guides and measuring and each side. For instance, if one side is 1/4" how to make the other side 1/4". So this would happen after I create all the shapes and subtracted for empty space, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Susan

See the contour settings and line widths settings for the pen tool, aka the tool's top tool bar settings. You should adjust those equally for your drawn A sides and check for selected pen drawn lines it's settings there.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2