You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides Manager

I'm puzzled. How do you work with new Guides Manager.

I'm unable to find a way to apply them to a page. There is no apply button, or anything that would tell me how to commit changes to pages.

284870517_Screenshot2018-11-01at19_06_08.thumb.png.cf96408e8f100c37e3885446d46ad4a1.png

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

4 minutes ago, fde101 said:

"Show Column Guides"

Thank you. I assumed that they would be instant but didn't realise that I needed to check Show Column Guides.

Thank you. :D

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

25 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Thank you. I assumed that they would be instant but didn't realise that I needed to check Show Column Guides.

Thank you. :D

There is a minor problem with Tabbing though the fields, it doesn't wrap around, once at the end it exits. But hey, thanks for the major improvement.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

But hey, thanks for the major improvement.

I was hoping that we would be able to save them out as presets like Grids and Axis Manager. Maybe later. :)

Two more issues:

1. The guides don't reflect the position of the Ruler Origin. If you change the Ruler Origin the guides still reflect the position from the top left corner of the page.

2. If you want to change the position of a guide by typing another number, the reverse text is in black and so you can't see what you are typing.

I wish percentages had been done differently.

Ideally any single guide should be able to be expressed as either an actual distance (from either the left or right side of the page) or a percentage.

If multiple page sizes are used, I would like to be able to express (random example) that one guide should always be an inch from the left, one an inch from the right (however wide the page is), and another one always 30% from the right - the current approach doesn't really allow for that (in this specific example you may be able to work around it by using margins and columns, but if I am looking for more than just the three...)

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

Ideally any single guide should be able to be expressed as either an actual distance (from either the left or right side of the page) or a percentage.

That would be very flexible indeed. Maybe we should have 2 modes. Simple mode and Advanced mode to set the guides more flexibly, like what we have in Grid Manager.
But then we would also need to save these presents out.

No need for multiple modes.

Just add a % at the end when typing in the preset position to make it based on a percentage, or make a number negative to pull from the right end.

So for my example I would have guides at "1 in", "-1 in", and "-30%".