Eccentric Wonder

Slow and Unresponsive Photo Document

The attached document causes affinity photo to feel sluggish and unresponsive. I try to move things around and it slows down the program. Sometimes I'll zoom out and it  I tried to rasterize the image layer and it made affinity unresponsive and I had to close and open the program again. I did it twice and it happened both times. Along with the document I attached a video showcasing the bug.

Photo_Bug.afphoto

Watching this there are a so many questions, but just to throw my first observation up, I notice that you had two documents open in publisher.  I had three once and depending upon what is being done this can slow thngs down a bit.  When you resize quite a lot the software needs to keep cache files which are like memory slots saying how each size looks, in photoshop you can control this behaviour which has a knock on effect on the RAM,   Just an immediate thought?  As second thought would be how big is this file according to resource manager?  When you rasterised, what are you DPI settings in doc setup?  Without seeing how the doc was created I am just stabbing in the dark.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

I downloaded and opened you file in Photo... what a mess. You use so many live layers, you even have a complete group that you can remove... It probably started in Designer,  now in Photo... The same could be created with just a few layers and it would work fine. Live layers on top on live layers... on top of..... the best way to max out any fast processor.

Hi Lauriano Creative,

What AlainP has said regarding the Live Layers is likely the cause of your slow performance, we are working on improving how live layers effect the efficiency of the app in a future update.

Thanks

Callum

Whenever a new car gets constructed digitally, all its components are assembled in a sort of "3D-Publisher" document. The engine with all its parts is in there and with its complete parametric construction history included. One from within that file could go ahead change the piston diameter and possibly hundreds of parts update to acomodate the geometry change. One could also work on the headlights or on the exhaustion pipes, take care of electric wiring or flatten the seat cushion to cut the cloth. Similar happens when architects construct houses or stadiums – here one often deals with files which hold hundred thousands of individual and editable parts. And these files run not on some crazy supercomputer – but on the construction site, on a Laptop.

Just a little note to those who think that the posted file is a mess and something which inevitably makes the best processors crack.

2 hours ago, AlainP said:

Wow!

I found this a friendly way of putting things into perspective.

A few stacked Adjustment / Filter layers, less than 20 layers overall certainly should not make modern software crawl. I just tried to merge down the supplied file ➜ I tried creating a snapshot with all layers and filters in perfectly idle state. As a result my whole machine got unstable – I had to kill APhoto via Task Manager. That's insane – but you're of course free to defend poor optimization :o).

i7 6850K, GTX 1070, 32GB RAM

Hmmm 'poor optimization'?

So if it slowed at 40 layers or 400 or 4000... At what point is it 'poor optimization'?

Just because you can doesn't mean you do..

I always believe that in order to get a job done I ALSO have a responsibility to 'optimize'. That's all my resources... time, CPU, memory, disk, layers, smart filters etc...

Enjoy.

21 minutes ago, PaulAffinity said:

So if it slowed at 40 layers or 400 or 4000... At what point is it 'poor optimization'?

All what I did was open the file, did not do anything with it  and just tried to merge it down in idle state. This should be possible at all times, regardless of layer count.

21 minutes ago, PaulAffinity said:

I always believe that in order to get a job done I ALSO have a responsibility to 'optimize'. That's all my resources... time, CPU, memory, disk, layers, smart filters etc...

I agree with this statement and try to respect it when doing serious CAD heavylifting. When doing image editing I honestly never had to think that way – Photoshop simply has so much performance headroom that you literally can do what you want without risking the app to crash. Even with 20 RAW files open, each with a number of adjustment layers things remain perfectly snappy. One should not even try opening 20 RAWs at once in APhoto ...

5 hours ago, PaulAffinity said:

Hmmm 'poor optimization'?

Here's a little PS CS6 comparison (clip recording time 10 sec.). Image 2880*1800, silly amount of adjustment layers and a couple of live-filters. Zero slowdown when editing, file merging happens instantly. Please understand that this sort of performance is the comparison matrix for a great number of customers.

4a5368824344fd814495cb9966012554.gif

It really is a bit ridiculous that the file freezes up the program. Its only 3 motion blur filters and its the only artwork in the file. I've had documents with 10-15 artboards and each one had its own set of effects and neither of the programs freeze up. I ended up using the non live filter version of motion blur to be able to export it. The only problem I have with that is that I can't go back in later and adjust things.

I've looked back through the file and its not that much of a mess. The group that is unnecessary was from me trying out a few things and I forgot to remove it before uploading, but you could easily delete it. Regardless, a file like this should not freeze up the entire program. Its not very efficient.

@Lauriano Creative If this may make you feel better, I get bad performance with no live filters and just a simple stack of regular layers and a couple of adjustment layers (specs in my signature).

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch