You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.157

• Staff

Please Click here to download the latest beta for Windows 

Purpose: General Testing
Requirements: None

Hi, we have a preview of build 157 now available. We hope to put it on auto-update soon but for now it is a manual download.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum. Many thanks for your continued feedback.

Vector and Photo Personas
- The Vector and Photo Personas will not be ready until later in the beta. The message captions you get when you select these options have been updated to be more direct and reflect this.

New Features

- The Tools toolbar has been re-organised. Requires 'Clear User Defaults' on start-up
- Column Guides (Grid Guides) for master spreads and spreads have been added
- Additional spaces and special characters have been added to the Text > Insert menu
- The facility to specify precision for readout of angles has been added in Preferences
- Document History now supports multiple redo paths

Fixes

Menus, Main View and Studio
- Updated the icon used to represent tables in the Layers panel
- View > Preview Mode now hides snapping candidates
- Fixed issue where switching from master view to page view could display wrong spread
- Improved 'Zoom to Fit' to account for rulers
- Docked panel menus could be generated incorrectly after docking a floating panel
- Fixed issues with the new 'Lock Colourspace' button appearing in the colour control when not relevant
- (Mac) Page panel thumbnails now show correct colour when using CMYK document profile 
- (Mac) Text Frame Panel contents could be corrupted on lower resolutions 
- (Windows) Added missing ruler origin menu and operations 
- (Windows) Fixed rendering issue that could occur with multiple displays at different display scales 

Document Setup
- Fixed order of tabs on New Document / Document Setup for consistency
- Applied master page margin now remembered after document close and re-open
- Changing document DPI now resizes applied master page elements correctly
- (Windows) Continue and Restart page numbering was disabled for first section 
- Fixed master page / symbol sync issue

Text
- Fixed crash when double clicking text frame size handles with move tool selected
- Fixed selection issues with Text Frame Linking tool
- Triple-click in text now selects a line. Quadruple-click selects a paragraph
- Fixed inability to delete various text breaks easily
- Fixed issue with right aligned tabs initially appearing outside the text frame
- Rasterising a linked Text Frame now removes the frame from the text flow correctly
- Hiding a text frame also hides tool outlines for any nested text frames
- Fixed hang when auto-fitting text to a text frame when a page break is present
- Fixed crash expanding fields on master spreads
- 'Ignore Text Wraps' for a text frame was incorrectly being set 'Off' by default
- Fix text wrap issue with large wrap objects
- Fix slow processing / hang when text wrapping around complex grouped curves
- Text Wrap borders are now saved as defaults for new objects when modified
- Fixed OpenType font metrics issue with Stylistic Sets, Small Caps etc
- Fixed issue editing Stylistic Set variants in Text Styles
- Fixed spacing issues when ligatures present in fields
- Fixed issue with Contextual Alternates lookups affecting certain fonts
- Fix for paragraph decorations failing when combining Strokes / Fills and Transparency
- Fixed issue with Text styles > Reset Formatting not always working
- Fixed text Styles UI not correctly updating when tab stop is changed to right aligned
- The option to toggle Unicode (U+nnnn) representation of text has been added to the Text menu
- Added additional validation when opening hyphenation and dictionary files
- (Mac) Fixed UI issue with tab stop leaders in the Text Style dialog 
- (Windows) Fixed input of diacritics on some non-English keyboards 

Tables
- Fixed crash when pasting end of paragraph into last cell of table

Find and Replace
- Optimisations when 'Replacing All'
- Fix when filtering by font size with scaled frames

Images
- Replace Image now offers Affinity file types
- Picture Frame Tool now has fill set to 'None'
- Fixed crash when using text wrap on placed PSD with empty layer
- (Mac) Image dragged from Finder now honours embedded / linked placement option 

Font Manager
- Font Manager cosmetic and usability improvements
- Fix for font traits not being honoured if modified when substituting in Font Manager

TOC
- Fixed issues when duplicating TOC styles

Import / Export / Printing
- N-Up now takes bleed into account when spacing
- N-Up fixed calculations involving top value and vertical gap
- When printing multiple Artboards the preview now honours the full range
- (Mac) Fixed Export to Folder breaks when folder name has special characters 
- (Mac) Improved detection of text encoding when inserting text files 
- (Windows) 'Save As' for an opened PDF can fail to add the Affinity file extension 

- Plus miscellaneous crash fixes

Previous Publisher build .7.0.145 fixlist contains earlier fixes.

Downloading now...

Excellent news that another beta is available!

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Looking Good!:) another fantastic leap forward....

Installation OK (Its a long clear defaults list eek!)

Like the column guides and tools reorganisation...

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

27 minutes ago, AdamW said:

- Column Guides (Grid Guides) for master spreads and spreads have been added

Among the huge amount of fixes this is very good news :)

Keep up the good work!
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I think, the new beta is another step forward.

Download and installation without problems.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Great update.

I have a few suggestions and they will be posted at appropriate forum.

Thanks.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Sorry to be dim but how do you clear user defaults on start-up ("Requires 'Clear User Defaults' on start-up")? Thanks for a great piece of software (just finished and printed my annual calendar in the previous beta).

33 minutes ago, BPMH said:

Sorry to be dim but how do you clear user defaults on start-up ("Requires 'Clear User Defaults' on start-up")? Thanks for a great piece of software (just finished and printed my annual calendar in the previous beta).

Press CTRL while startup

I don't think it's mentioned in the change log, but I see that with .157 almost any tool can be used to drag Guides out from the rulers, not just the Move Tool. Thanks!

(Any except: Colour Picker, Place Image, View, and Zoom.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think it's mentioned in the change log, but I see that with .157 almost any tool can be used to drag Guides out from the rulers, not just the Move Tool. Thanks!

(Any except: Colour Picker, Place Image, View, and Zoom.)

Not seeing that on Windows 8.0, only the Move Tool can be used to drag the guides, same as previous beta

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi, thanks so much for new version! :) update from 145 to 157 failed (Windows 7 64bit SP1) Restarting OS > install again > installation successful.

Bugs I've found so far:

1. Documents shows only in pixel mode (vector/pixel view tool " , " doesn't work.)

When I find something else I will write immediately :) Thank you! Good luck guys!

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz   3.40 GHz | RAM 32,0 GB

• Staff

@LukasMizera

Although most are unaffected by this, many other people are having a problem installing until they restart. I hope we can find the cause before release.

Please can you report your problems using the software (like the pixel mode issue) in a new thread so it doesn't get lost. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On older machine update ran without problems. No crashing so far when testing.

Column Guides - Fantastic!!!!! update. Looking forward to what's next....

Affinity Designer & Photo 1.6.5.123, Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.162

Packard Bell EasyNote TK85, Intel i3, 6GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6370M, Windows 10 Home 1809

Thanks.  Again, though, unable to do an upgrade installation in place over an existing .145 installation. The key line from the log file appears to be this one:

+Error: The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher Public Beta.  The installation cannot continue.  Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator.

That's a surprising line, because when running the installer, it does do a UAC admin privileges request. So somehow those privileges are not being passed on to a sub-process...or something else is going on that is preventing access (e.g., one process kicked off by the installer has files open in that folder and therefore they can't be deleted or changed by another).

Setup.log

SetupUI.log

9 minutes ago, magicdesign__ said:

after updating, my 120 page publication no longer opens. It just crashes publisher. I saved it the day before this new beta was released. Any way to roll back (so I can save it in another way/export pdf)

There is a temporary link to the old beta in this thread

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/71569-download-previous-beta/&tab=comments#comment-371650

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
43 minutes ago, magicdesign__ said:

thanks - that's the mac file - is there a windows file?

Replace .dmg with .exe seems to work see here,  and please provide the file for us to check the problem.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
4 hours ago, magicdesign__ said:

Yes - the old version works and the file opens perfectly. Not sure what this means - is it likely that a future beta update will sort the crash?

We cannot guarantee that the fix we're working on will address your issue. We really need your file so we can thoroughly investigate. Could you please upload it to this private Dropbox link for the developers. Once the file has been looked at it will be removed.