You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.157

• Staff

Please Click here to download the latest beta for macOS 

Purpose: General Testing
Requirements: Mac OS 10.9 or above

Hi, we have a preview of build 157 now available. We hope to put it on auto-update next week but for now it is a manual download.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum. Many thanks for your continued feedback.

Vector and Photo Personas
- The Vector and Photo Personas will not be ready until later in the beta. The message captions you get when you select these options have been updated to be more direct and reflect this.

Known Issues
- On MacOS Mojave, on non-retina displays, the default highlight colour used in several places is pale blue and the contrast with white text is poor.

New Features

- The Tools toolbar has been re-organised. Requires 'Clear User Defaults' on start-up
- Column Guides (Grid Guides) for master spreads and spreads have been added
- Additional spaces and special characters have been added to the Text > Insert menu
- The facility to specify precision for readout of angles has been added in Preferences
- Document History now supports multiple redo paths

Fixes

Menus, Main View and Studio
- Updated the icon used to represent tables in the Layers panel
- View > Preview Mode now hides snapping candidates
- Fixed issue where switching from master view to page view could display wrong spread
- Improved 'Zoom to Fit' to account for rulers
- Docked panel menus could be generated incorrectly after docking a floating panel
- Fixed issues with the new 'Lock Colourspace' button appearing in the colour control when not relevant
- (Mac) Page panel thumbnails now show correct colour when using CMYK document profile 
- (Mac) Text Frame Panel contents could be corrupted on lower resolutions 
- (Windows) Added missing ruler origin menu and operations 
- (Windows) Fixed rendering issue that could occur with multiple displays at different display scales 

Document Setup
- Fixed order of tabs on New Document / Document Setup for consistency
- Applied master page margin now remembered after document close and re-open
- Changing document DPI now resizes applied master page elements correctly
- Fixed master page / symbol sync issue
- (Windows) Continue and Restart page numbering was disabled for first section 

Text
- Fixed crash when double clicking text frame size handles with move tool selected
- Fixed selection issues with Text Frame Linking tool
- Triple-click in text now selects a line. Quadruple-click selects a paragraph
- Fixed inability to delete various text breaks easily
- Fixed issue with right aligned tabs initially appearing outside the text frame
- Rasterising a linked Text Frame now removes the frame from the text flow correctly
- Hiding a text frame also hides tool outlines for any nested text frames
- Fixed hang when auto-fitting text to a text frame when a page break is present
- Fixed crash expanding fields on master spreads
- 'Ignore Text Wraps' for a text frame was incorrectly being set 'Off' by default
- Fix text wrap issue with large wrap objects
- Fix slow processing / hang when text wrapping around complex grouped curves
- Text Wrap borders are now saved as defaults for new objects when modified
- Fixed OpenType font metrics issue with Stylistic Sets, Small Caps etc
- Fixed issue editing Stylistic Set variants in Text Styles
- Fixed spacing issues when ligatures present in fields
- Fixed issue with Contextual Alternates lookups affecting certain fonts
- Fix for paragraph decorations failing when combining Strokes / Fills and Transparency
- Fixed issue with Text styles > Reset Formatting not always working
- Fixed text Styles UI not correctly updating when tab stop is changed to right aligned
- The option to toggle Unicode (U+nnnn) representation of text has been added to the Text menu
- Added additional validation when opening hyphenation and dictionary files
- (Mac) Fixed UI issue with tab stop leaders in the Text Style dialog 
- (Windows) Fixed input of diacritics on some non-English keyboards 

Tables
- Fixed crash when pasting end of paragraph into last cell of table

Find and Replace
- Optimisations when 'Replacing All'
- Fix when filtering by font size with scaled frames

Images
- Replace Image now offers Affinity file types
- Picture Frame Tool now has fill set to 'None'
- Fixed crash when using text wrap on placed PSD with empty layer
- (Mac) Image dragged from Finder now honours embedded / linked placement option 

Font Manager
- Font Manager cosmetic and usability improvements
- Fix for font traits not being honoured if modified when substituting in Font Manager

TOC
- Fixed issues when duplicating TOC styles

Import / Export / Printing
- N-Up now takes bleed into account when spacing
- N-Up fixed calculations involving top value and vertical gap
- When printing multiple Artboards the preview now honours the full range
- (Mac) Fixed Export to Folder breaks when folder name has special characters 
- (Mac) Improved detection of text encoding when inserting text files 
- (Windows) 'Save As' for an opened PDF can fail to add the Affinity file extension 

- Plus miscellaneous crash fixes

Previous Publisher build .7.0.145 fixlist contains earlier fixes. 

ok, technically this is with the previous beta... when I went to check for updates it came up that it was checking then it crashed (the program just quit) - I had an unsaved document open (one that I didn't care about and had no intention of saving - it just had a few random shapes on it I was using for a quick experiment).

After opening it again, I went to check for updates and it told me I am up to date (it is still .145).

I am guessing you just didn't get the check for updates feature updated yet since the beta was just now posted...

• Staff
5 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I am guessing you just didn't get the check for updates feature updated yet since the beta was just now posted... 

That's correct. We hope to put it on auto-update tomorrow but for now it is a manual download.

• Staff
46 minutes ago, fde101 said:

when I went to check for updates it came up that it was checking then it crashed (the program just quit) - I had an unsaved document open (one that I didn't care about and had no intention of saving - it just had a few random shapes on it I was using for a quick experiment).

Please make a new thread if you can repeat this crash with anything like a recipe if it is not every time, thanks. It may depend on what you had selected, so may not be easy to find again.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Just downloaded it as a manual download.   Opened several files created in v. 145.  Piece of cake!!!    I really love the new tools and the slick way one can now choose one's own favorites!     The previous version was rather resistant -- at least to me.   Tomorrow we shall see with the automatic download.    So far, wonderful!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Thanks for the addition of the column settings in the guides dialogue. For me (on Mac 10.13.6) I'm getting a default result of filled grey panels for columns instead of frames/rules for the guides. All previous apps I have used (as I recall - going back to PageMaker, QuarkXpress, InDesign) have shown column guides as lines not panels. Wonder what the thinking is behind that. Not a big deal, just not what I'm used to. Can't see how to change the default.

I am very impressed with the app so far - a mammoth task to pull off from scratch!

Open View > Guides Manager, there should be several choices available Filled or Outline and changing the colour is easy too.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hello @AdamW thank you so much for this updated info.

Previous version of Publisher beta (.145) was already a great tool on my side despite this or that i may wanted to see but it was so great.
Now i'll download this one and give it a test run to see how it differs and better my workflow.
Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

super, thanks for the Grid/column support, works well :)

Just the performance is a bit lame, scale a Textbox and a few seconds later the box change the size. Not what I expected (I still hope that the performance in the final release is smooth like the good old QuarkXPress 3.3.2,) ;)