You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any suggestions on good ways to organise raw and jpeg photos

Harley1122

Hi I'm looking for suggestions on good ways to organise raw and jpeg photos. I understand that raw photos can be edited more but require more memory. I normally shoot in raw and fine quality jpeg and decide which raw to keep depending on what I would regard as worth keeping for reproduction or enlarging. Would this be the recommended method of organising raw and jpeg files? 

Hallo Harley, As a photgrapher I would say that unless you are shooting weddings or contract work where you need to send samples of what you are shooting away for viewing by a customer then it is a complete waste of time to shoot with the setting in camera where each image is captured as a raw and a jpeg simultaneously.  Shoot in RAW and after editing save as TIFF or PSD if in photoshop, convert to JPEG only if you need to save for web or make quick pdfs for viewing or if any need arises where you are asked to give in  jpeg for whatever reason.  As for RAW requiring more DISK SPACE, not necessariy memory, this really is of little importance to be honest unless you are on a computer used by the pyramid builders:)

A little tip here would be to visit luminous landscape com, and northlight images, two excellent and highly respectable sites for learning about what you are asking and with a wealth of information for photographers.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

you're welcome

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Very interesting read.  I have nearly always taken  both RAW and JPEG due to the setting on my nearly 7 year old CANON.  Then about 99% of the time I use the RAW within Adobe Bridge to do any adjustments I feel necessary.  However, after reading your comments here I am wondering whether there should be a way to set a camera to only take RAW and do away with the JPEG altogether?

1 hour ago, Whokuni said:

However, after reading your comments here I am wondering whether there should be a way to set a camera to only take RAW and do away with the JPEG altogether?

Of course you can setup nearly every modern digital camera (especially DSLRs etc.) to shoot just RAW, or just JPGs, or both simultaneously together. On DSLRs with two card slots you can when shooting both (RAW+JPG simultaneously) customize to store on the desired card slot etc. - However, everybody is free to setup things here up the way they personal need them and many Photographers have their own different demands.

For example, personally I usually always only shoot RAW since that gives the most flexibility over the sensor based image data in terms of processing capabilities. Then after reviewing the image material I decide what's worth to be spend time on for processing, working out and then some time to be stored as TIFF or JPG for the audience.

But recently for some cooperation work and shooting session I was working together with a Pro portrait photographer who interestingly didn't shoot RAW at all in his studio. That Photographer has configured and setup/optimized his cams settings for his studio work extensively and always only just shoots JPGs. - So it always individually depends!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2