You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As a photographer (amateur) I have tens of thousands of RAW files and in my work flow one of the first things I do is review my photographs so that I can choose what to discard or mark as worthy to develop further.

One of the most frustrating things I find and I know I'm not alone in this this is there are almost no file browsers / viewers / managers that are capable of displaying RAW files in a timely fashion.

Most file browsers are woefully inadequate in this area, they either can't manage RAW files or are so painfully slow as to render a work flow unusable.

Please, please, please, I don't want this file browser / viewer / manager to have editing capabilities or fancy gimmicks, just the ability to take a mass of very large RAW  and affinity files and display them in number of formats, i.e. in grid form, film strip, etc etc very vey fast.

The manager / viewer / browser needs to able to show histograms as well exif data etc. The ability to search and display files on a range of file parameters super quickly.

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way no how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

Affinity Photo (latest I promise)

Affinity Photo Beta (I have a lot of time on my hands)

Affinity Designer (Also the latest; promise)

Affinity Designer Beta (Because I like new things)

I need to get out more - Yes :)

You don't say what OS you're using.

For Windows you might consider FastStone Image Viewer.

For Windows or Mac you might consider XnViewMP.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Reggie1958 said:

As a photographer (amateur) I have tens of thousands of RAW files and in my work flow one of the first things I do is review my photographs so that I can choose what to discard or mark as worthy to develop further.

One of the most frustrating things I find and I know I'm not alone in this this is there are almost no file browsers / viewers / managers that are capable of displaying RAW files in a timely fashion.

Most file browsers are woefully inadequate in this area, they either can't manage RAW files or are so painfully slow as to render a work flow unusable.

Please, please, please, I don't want this file browser / viewer / manager to have editing capabilities or fancy gimmicks, just the ability to take a mass of very large RAW  and affinity files and display them in number of formats, i.e. in grid form, film strip, etc etc very vey fast.

The manager / viewer / browser needs to able to show histograms as well exif data etc. The ability to search and display files on a range of file parameters super quickly.

1 hour ago, Reggie1958 said:

You might want to have a look at "Fast Raw Viewer".  Here is the link: https://www.fastrawviewer.com/about-and-features.

It is available both on Mac OS and on Windows.  I'm using it on Mac and it is really fast. It displays the picture from the RAW file; it is NOT using the embedded jpg.

22 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You don't say what OS you're using.

For Windows you might consider FastStone Image Viewer.

For Windows or Mac you might consider XnViewMP.

Hi Walt, thanks for your reply :) Sorry I wasn't clear:

I'm using MacOS I've tried the XnViewMP application and it doesn't really cut it for RAW files, yes it'll display them but painfully slow on my MacBook-Pro ... it's a decent spec (the best at the time of purchase) I got the hardware with high end photography in mind so even the graphics card was the highest spec at the time of purchase,  .. I say this so I know it's not the hardware that's slow :-/

Update  Awdt has come up with a good alternative Fast Raw Viewer :) it is very very quick and not too expensive.

Thanks

Reggie

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way no how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

21 hours ago, Awtd said:

Thanks Awtd, that's a great steer, yes I'm impressed with Fast Raw Viewer .. I gave It a test drive and it mostly works great .... it has crashed on me a couple of times which is a bit worrying. However it's not over expensive so maybe it might be worth buying and hope it gets more stable. I will test it further. I have found Photo Mechanic now but it's $150 hmm I might need to think about Photo Mechanic which is also a photo manager too ...

21 hours ago, Awtd said:

The Adobe Bridge application is free for all to be used and can be downloaded from the Adobe web site.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys/Gals

I am new to affinity and I use bridge and the file manager.  A friend of mine got into using Fast Raw Viewer, unfortunately he passed away recently. I have used FRV to get rid of duff images, from the SD card before down loading to Bridge.  FRV enables some changes to be made to the images, these are not physical changes but creates an XMP file, the same way Adobe raw does, these are then taken into PS.  Does affinity use XMP in anyway?  I went onto a few images in affinity and they look like the base image. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 4:08 PM, Heyboyjohn said:

Does affinity use XMP in anyway?

No.

https://www.google.com/search?q=XMP+site:forum.affinity.serif.com

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 8/13/2022 at 10:08 AM, Heyboyjohn said:

Does affinity use XMP in anyway?

Yes, but only for metadata, not for RAW adjustments.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1