You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have several paid Photoshop actions that I am trying to manually transfer to Affinity Photo using Affinity's macro format.  The problem is that many of the actions had duplicate document as one of the steps and Affinity does not have this feature.  Unfortunately, I have not found a workaround therefore I am requesting that duplicate document be added.  Thank you.

• 7 months later...

Yes!

I do very vey often duplicate a bunch of groups to a new document to then merge those into single layers and save a lightest/cleaner psd version of my working psb to send to client or comp into nuke.

Or even, when doing concept work I use the snapshot of the History tab frequently while testing quick stuff, then I can go back to previous states where I had something I liked, duplicate it into a new document and create versions, or drag it into the latest version I am on. 

Any way to reproduce those in AP?

On 10/30/2018 at 5:50 PM, Eric5 said:

I have several paid Photoshop actions that I am trying to manually transfer to Affinity Photo using Affinity's macro format.  The problem is that many of the actions had duplicate document as one of the steps and Affinity does not have this feature.  Unfortunately, I have not found a workaround therefore I am requesting that duplicate document be added.  Thank you.

1. Select All
  2. Copy (to Clipboard)
  3. New from Clipboard

This creates s duplicate (unnamed) document.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 6 months later...
On 6/7/2019 at 1:44 PM, John Rostron said:
  1. Select All
  2. Copy (to Clipboard)
  3. New from Clipboard

This creates s duplicate (unnamed) document.

John

If you have multiple layers and want all of them to be duplicated, you must select them all before doing the copy.

I think it would be nice to have a one step duplicate document action.

57 minutes ago, antonkudin said:

Copying usually means some objects are incorrectly positioned on place or document would be incorrect size.

If you select all the layers in the Layers panel, then Copy, and File > New from Clipboard (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N on Windows) everything should be properly positioned and the document should have the proper size.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

I am afraid this cuts empty space and new document may be smaller.

Thanks. That must be a scenario I haven't encountered yet.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 month later...

The other day as I was working in Photo I missed having a simple way to duplicate the document.
Duplicating document menu option is a feature I would also would like to see added.

Btw I am a brand new user and noticed a lot of things when I made a wireframe a few days ago. Specific methods I am used to from Photoshop that I tried in Photo.
I will go through again and add a few more treads in regards to some of the stumbling blocks I met.

• 2 months later...

Has this every been responded to by anyone working for Affinity?  I too desperately need this feature and the proposed workarounds are ridiculous.  The easiest would be to option+drag a copy of your document in the finder to create a separate copy before opening the original, but even this is ludicrous.  I so desperately want to move from Photoshop to Photo but I find there are so many basic, albeit obvious and necessary features missing it would drive me insane to do so.  I certainly hope someone at Affinity actually reads these forums.  

6 minutes ago, cinemachine said:

Has this every been responded to by anyone working for Affinity?

6 minutes ago, cinemachine said:

I certainly hope someone at Affinity actually reads these forums.  

The developers and planners at Serif read the Feedback forums, and take requests into account as they are planning improvements to the products. But there are a lot of requests, and a small staff, and only they know how any particular request will impact the code for all the products, and how difficult any particular request would be to implement, and how it would fit in with their vision and priorities for the products.

They do not, generally, comment on feature requests or provide any information about which ones they are working on, or thinking about working on, or the priorities. In part I think that's because they've learned that sharing too much information, especially when plans have to change, causes problems and aggravates the users of the products. So they've found it better to say nothing, until a feature is nearly complete. (That's just my interpretation.)

-- Walt
PC: