You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to Download Resources from Photo Workbook

I while ago I purchased the Affintiy Photo Workbook and have been happily going through the exersizes - downloading the DPIs/Resources as I go along (using https://affin.co/<resource name>).

However, today (30 Oct) i am unable to download any resources. Internet etc is fine and I am working on 100MB connectivity. Ive never had any problems before.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Edited by GaryM
Spelling error

• Staff

Hi GaryM,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There is an explanation of how to get the resources at the start of the book, on page 9 on the right. Each chapter's files are provided on the beginning of each chapter only. You can easily locate the link looking for the two overlapping files/documents icon on a blue background. For example take a look at page 140 on top: that link contains all the files needed for the entire chapter. Enter the full URL as appear there on your browser's URL field to download the zip file, unzip it to a folder then use each file as referenced on each page (the purple file references on the top of each page within that chapter).

You can find all links/subchapters on pages: 86, 140, 156, 174, 188, 200, 226, 248, 266, 290, 314, 340, 366, 388, 406, 424, 448.

• Staff

Hi LarryTa,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The resource name is usually the name of the chapter (not the file names provided on each page inside the chapter - these are just for you to know which file you should be using/looking at) and the full url is provided in the beginning of each one (on the pages 86, 140, 156, 174, 188, 200, 226, 248, 266, 290, 314, 340, 366, 388, 406, 424, 448). Are you sure that's this url that you are inserting in your browser and not the ones inside the chapter's pages?

See my reply immediately above for more details.

4 hours ago, LarryTa said:

The URL https://affin.co/<resource name> does not load from the US.  Is there another address to use?

The URL's on the page numbers listed by @MEB download fine for me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The URL https://affin.co/photocoreskills works here to access the (341.1 MB!) ‘photo_core_skills’ zip archive. I would expect the similar URLs for individual chapters to work equally well unless there are connection problems.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just in case anybody else has this problem:

when I tried downloading the Affinity photo workbook resources, it failed when I set the download option to auto open the file. The download works fine when the save option is used with the download.

This could be a strange  config problem with my PC but it’s worth taking note if you have a download problem.

Edited by GaryM
Grammatical error

5 minutes ago, GaryM said:

it failed when I set the download option to auto open the file.

What program did you tell it to use to auto-open?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, GaryM said:

when I tried downloading the Affinity photo workbook resources, the it failed when I set the download option to auto open the file. The download works fine when the save option is used with the download.

AFAIK, you should not have to set any download option -- as long as you enter the URLs exactly as displayed on the workbook pages & do not select anything suggested by the browser's web search feature (usually by just tapping the return key after entering the URL) then the download should start automatically.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The download is a compressed ZIP-Archive and there are chances that there is no unzip program automatically associated on your OS side with an auto-open option for that file format. You should check if ZIP-Archives (their file extension) are as default associated with some unarchiver for that file format on your OS.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2