You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Still webp extension missing in export panel?

Export to WebP is already required, so sometimes :-)

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

14 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @All Media Lab,

We do not support WebP as an export format. Sorry. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

May I ask why not? Will it be implemented in v1.7? Since you support webp import, adding export ought to be rather trivial. I use it all the time for preparing game assets in Godot Engine.

It's a bit strange that Affinity that tries to hit the "pro market" is not implementing webp in their application and forces me to go back to Photoshop and Avocode. Despite the fact that Google provides the codec for developers to use in their applications.

Regards,

David

API for the WebP Codec

The WebP team has provided an extensive API to allow developers to add support to their applications, including browsers, image editing tools as well as native applications.

Consult the API documentation for a description of libwebp application programming interface.

Yes and Microsoft Edge will be recognizing webp as well if this article is true:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/firefox-and-edge-add-support-for-googles-webp-image-format/

But Chrome already does and it's the most used browser in Europe and the US. Reason enough to implement webp export and optimization in Affinity.   

FWIW, the Google WebP FAQ page suggests checking Wikipedia's WebP page's Support entry for more about apps & browsers that support WebP, though I am not sure how reliable that is. For one thing, it lists Pixelmator (a Mac only app) as including native WebP support. I bought the Pro version of that app a while back when it was on sale, but unless I am missing something it cannot even import WebP docs, much less export to that format.

BTW: I regret buying Pixelmator Pro even at the deeply discounted sale price, because despite the positive reviews & an interesting feature set, its 'one window' UI lacks most of the refinements of the Affinity apps, making for a far less efficient workflow, at least for me. If you are a Mac user, I suggest checking out the trial version before buying it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

30 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I bought the Pro version of that app a while back when it was on sale, but unless I am missing something it cannot even import WebP docs, much less export to that format.

Strange, since that Blog posting here from them (seems to be from some longer time ago) suggests something else. But on the other side their actual online help doesn't name WebP as one of the supported Web supported or general supported export file formats. - Pretty irritating.

UPDATE: Just saw this somewhere ...

If “it’s not just some microscopic experimental support; it’s complete, full, total, absolute WebP support” then why a hidden preference to enable it in Export for Web?

... so it might have to be enabled via prefs settings first, as far as that quoted comment is true and valid (?). - Don't have or use that software, thus can't tell!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

13 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Strange, since that Blog posting here from them (seems to be from some longer time ago) suggests something else. But on the other side their actual online help doesn't name WebP as one of the supported Web supported or general supported export file formats. - Pretty irritating.

I searched their help, blogs, & anything else I could think of & got the same thing -- there is apparently no WebP support at all. :(

It would have been even more irritating if I bought it for that, but I really only bought it to see what the AI features were all about & for Automator batch support. Both of those were less than I had hoped for. Combined with the lack of so many things I like about the Affinity UI (no zoom with scroll wheel, no custom keyboard shortcuts, no expressions or scrubbing in fields to name just a few) using it is irritating enough that I rarely fire it up.

But to be fair about it, I think it is intended mostly for sketch artists, which I am not, so maybe for them it would be worth the money.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

unless I am missing something it cannot even import WebP docs, much less export to that format

Pixelmator 1.6.2 Adds WebP Support

Edit: Oops! I should have read @v_kyr’s reply. :$

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

In an online blog review of PPro I saw the following for other file format exports (see the last popup menu item)...

Pixelmator.png.4b4c0295c2764ce6ddd5fb12bed8e767.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

54 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

In an online blog review of PPro I saw the following for other file format exports (see the last popup menu item)...

Do you happen to have a URL for that? I don't see anything like that anywhere I can find in my copy of Pixelmator Pro. The export file Format popup shows the following for me:
1772050743_exportformatchoices.jpg.38cece175d005b1a7c7b6f52db77af85.jpg
Lots more choices but both WebP & TGA are conspicuous by their absence. Is it possible the review you saw was for the regular, non-pro version of the app?

EDIT: This is bizarre. The tech spec web page for Pixelmator shows it supports WebP (among other formats), but the (hard to find from their website!) tech spec web page for Pixelmator Pro doesn't say anything at all about supported formats! So maybe it is possible that the less expensive non-pro version supports WebP while the more expensive "pro"version does not?!? :S

Affinity Photo 

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't see anything like that anywhere I can find in my copy of Pixelmator Pro.

Did you do the following (from the Pixelmator blog article)?

To enable WebP in Pixelmator’s Export for Web feature, simply type this into your Terminal app:

defaults write com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator enableWebP YES

Alfred spacer.png

30 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Did you do the following (from the Pixelmator blog article)?

I did see that, but apparently it is from 8 years ago(!!!), from what I can tell is relevant only to the non-pro version, & only enables WebP for the "Export for web" feature. Moreover, I can't even find anything in the online manual for the current (??) non-pro version about WebP either.

It seems these are two very different apps. Among other things, the pro version has a 'one window' UI, unlike the non-pro one that has a more conventional  UI with a separate tools panel & such.

Affinity Photo 

Just now, R C-R said:

I did see that, but apparently it is from 8 years ago(!!!)

Oops (again)!!

Alfred spacer.png

Found it again, ah it was a Pixelmator 3.6 review which also mentioned ...

Pixelmator will also release a new version of the program sometime during Fall 2017 called Pixelmator Pro 1.0 Whirlwind.

BTW usually one would expect a Pro version to include and offer everything a base version contains, but of course going much beyond that for certain features then. Also strange that here on an older blog entry "Save for Web Goodness in Pixelmator" they tell ...

And—surprise—the Export for Web palette that pops up is the only thing you will ever need to completely prepare any of your images for Web sites!

The palette has everything—a preview mode option, optimized image file size options, a file format pop-up menu where you choose between standard web file formats (JPEG, PNG, PNG Indexed, and GIF, or even the new WebP, if you wish), and optimization settings for the currently selected file format.

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

BTW usually one would expect a Pro version to include and offer everything a base version contains, but of course going much beyond that for certain features then.

I expected the same thing but that is not true for Pixelmator Pro. It does offer RAW development (presumably based on Apple's raw engine), a few "ML" (machine learning, a.k.a. AI) features, & an expanded set of export options, but curiously WebP (& TGA) are not among them. Its "Export for Web" preview is too tiny to be of much use & does not seem to change appearance regardless of which of the limited export options I choose, so I am not sure I trust it.

The biggest irritation for me is the 'one window' UI, completely different from the non-pro version & any other similar app. I can't sum up what's wrong with it in a few words, but if you run the trial version you might see what I mean.

Affinity Photo 

15 hours ago, R C-R said:

I expected the same thing but that is not true for Pixelmator Pro. ...

It's indeed irritating that they possibly striped that functionality then out of their Pro version for whatever reason. But maybe those Pro versions are then a completely rewritten new line of their software with a lot of changes in contrast to their older base versions (who knows). - However I never downloaded, tried out or ever used that software, so I can't say much about it's usability, featurisms and so on other than what can be read on the net about it.

• 1 month later...

Hello Serif Team,

Next Gen image formats are necessary for us to a) keep up with best practise and b) ensure we do everything we can to rank well with Search Engines (SEO).

Formats like webP, JPEG 2000 and JPEG XR should be considered for future releases of Affinity Photo.

https://developers.google.com/web/tools/lighthouse/audits/webp

Regards,

John.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Upvote for me too!!!

Affinity Team, please integrate webp as it is now widely accepted for all browsers. Also Google will give negative pagespeed results when webp is not used. So it would be a BIG plus for webdesigners. I think Affinity is ahead of Adobe application wise, but returning to Photoshop to convert my image feels kind of strange. Using a external converter IMHO is not the way to go!