You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sorry, I probably didn't explain myself well enough. I could see the rulers, but I was referring to creating my own rule or guide on the page.

I've now discovered that I need to go to View > Guides Manager and then set a guide on the page, which I can then reposition my moving it on the ruler (if that makes sense).

I was confused with InDesign, where you can 'pull' (drag) a new guide on to the page from the horizontal or vertical ruler. I thought it worked in the same way here, but I realise now that the functionality is different in Affinity Publisher.

Thanks for your reply.

4 hours ago, videoauthor said:

I was confused with InDesign, where you can 'pull' (drag) a new guide on to the page from the horizontal or vertical ruler. I thought it worked in the same way here, but I realise now that the functionality is different in Affinity Publisher

You can do that in Publisher, too, when you have the Move Tool active. It's standard in all the Affinity applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can do that in Publisher, too, when you have the Move Tool active. It's standard in all the Affinity applications.

For some reason it doesn't work for me in Publisher version 1.7.0.145

I tried it in Affinity Photo and it works just fine - but not in Publisher.

2 hours ago, videoauthor said:

For some reason it doesn't work for me in Publisher version 1.7.0.145

I tried it in Affinity Photo and it works just fine - but not in Publisher.

I think another Mac user mentioned needing to use the Node Tool, so you might try that. It seems that Move works for some, as it should, but perhaps there's a bug that requires using the Node Tool for others?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, pruus said:

Show rulers is the first step. Then try this:

See this on the right top site?

1605460664_Schermafbeelding2018-11-01om16_18_09.png.22097d45c2a2a5eb9155b270aa542ebe.png

Click on the left icon. This will enable getting an ruler in the page.

Schermafbeelding 2018-11-01 om 16.18.02.png

Sorry, I cannot see that option on the top right hand side of my screen. My screen looks like this... (see below).

I'm on a Mac by the way

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 5.59.28 am.png

Right click on the Toolbar or go to View > Customize Toolbar... to see all the wonderful little things we can add to it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 10/30/2018 at 6:58 AM, MEB said:

Hi videoauthor,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Are you referring to display rulers for a text frames? Go to menu View ▸ Show Text Ruler. If you are referring to the document canvas itself go to menu View ▸ Show Rulers.

I must be a perfect idiot, but I cannot seem to get the Text Ruler to show at all.   I have a text frame on my page, entered a few words of text, then clicked on  View>Show Text Ruler, got the little icon greyed out up on the Toolbar saying "Frame Text Ruler" and nothing turned up on the document page.   I have checked and unchecked and clicked and unclicked.   Nothing.    I am currently using a manually downloaded version of 157.   "Oh where, oh where has Text Ruler gone, oh where oh where can it be?"  etc.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

After more fiddling with v. 157 I have discovered that I am getting an erratic response to the Text Ruler.   Sometimes when I do the View>Show Text Ruler the little icon turns up on the toolbar, and at other times it does not.    When the icon does show up, sometimes I can get the text ruler to turn up by clicking in the text frame and at other times it doesn't work.   But if I manage to get the operation to work, and keep the Show Text Ruler checked in the View menu, and then create new text frames, click inside, I immediately get the ruler.   I first went back to v. 145 and found the whole process worked very smoothly.   Then back to v. 157.   But suggestion to toggle the Guides icons up in the toolbar (suggested by pruus above) doesn't do anything at all.   Am I bats, or what?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

53 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

... more fiddling with v. 157 I have discovered that I am getting an erratic response ...

The only way I can get the Text Ruler to show up is to have the Caret active in the Text Frame. Artistic Text does nothing, selecting the Text Frame does nothing. The odd little crenelated wall which I accidentally discovered was for the Text Frame toggle only shows up when I have the Text Frame tool selected and then I still have to put the caret in the frame. Not a fan of the thing so I rarely use it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Still getting a very erratic response to the Frame Text Ruler.    I am using v. 157 and have tried and tried to get either the little icon on the toolbar to work, or to check the View>Show Text Ruler option.   Neither does a thing.   There is definitely a bug in this thing!! 

I am now on v. 162 and the frame text ruler seems to be working.  I have discovered that if it is checked in the VIEW menu and the little icon is in the toolbar whited out, I use the MOVE tool (not the text tool) and double-click on a text frame and the frame text ruler turns up.  When I move to a different text frame, the little icon disappears from the toolbar, but if I have kept the option checked in the VIEW menu, and double click the new text frame with the MOVE tool, the text ruler turns up.   Good job!!!    

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.