You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Selection shortcut

I often use Publisher to export parts of graphic compositions. For that, I use File -> Export, and then from the dropdown, Selection with background.

I suggest creating some way to bypass the need to select from the dropdown. My suggestion is to add a shortcut to the existing Cmd+Shift+E. I suggest Cmd+Shift+Alt+E to auto select the "Selection with background" from the Export dialog.

Screenshot 2018-10-29 at 21.11.34.png

Hi @rucativava - since you're a Mac user, you can already do pretty much exactly what you want.

Step away from Publisher for a moment.  Use  > System Preferences… > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts and create/define your own shortcut for Selection with background.  The result will look something like this: 

image.png.0447b3634921c4b072afeb19291fd05d.png

Once it's created, you can't go straight to it, but it's trivial to invoke.  Simply hit your existing File > Export keyboard shortcut followed immediately by your new shortcut.  This will work across the various export modes for which "Selection with background" is an option, it's not restricted to just JPEG outputs.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

I did not know System Preferences App Shortcut also worked for dialog boxes Item, I thought they were just for Menu Items.

Although that is "a solution", I might as well use BetterTouchTool to create one shortcut to do it all at once. 

I still think there is room for improvement on the Affinity side. For example, an option to keep the last selected option by default.

• 2 years later...
On 10/29/2018 at 5:12 PM, rucativava said:

often use Publisher to export parts of graphic compositions.

Unless these are multi-page compositions, you are probably better off using Photo or Designer and using the Export persona for this.

You can mark them as slices then export them all in one step.

Even if you start this in Publisher for some reason it is easy enough to transfer the document into either Photo or Designer (from the File menu) to do the export.