You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is a fantastic tool and I am using it a lot in a book where text is on top of a photo and I need to lighten (make more transparent) the photo under the text so that I can see it clearly.  There is, however, one additional shape I would like, a rectangle.  The text blocks are rectangular and I would like to be able to have a rectangular (actually, a rectangle with curved corners) transparency shape.  Currently, I have to use an elliptical shape.

Great product.

Thanks,

Robin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi RobinMcL,
There's quite a few ways to achieve this. One of the simplest (which doesn't require to touch the image) is to simply place a rounded rectangle below the text with a Gaussian Blur FX applied and the Fill Opacity you want (with the same colour as the document background - white in this case). Open the attached file and take a look at the two layers i've added: one is a copy of an existing block of text that i then moved to the left page and below there's a white rounded rectangle with an Gaussian Blur FX applied - double-click the FX icon in the Layers panel in front of the rectangle layer: the Radius value controls the feathering around the rectangle border, the Fill Opacity control (on the bottom right of the dialog) controls the opacity of the whole FX effect - use it to make the rectangle more or less opaque. Additionally if you select the rectangle and go to the context toolbar on top you can change the type of corner (rounded, straight, concave etc) and the percentage on the curvature applied to the corners. I've placed the rectangle a little arbitrarily below the text - if you want more precision/control over it's position, make it the same size as the text frame then add a white stroke (setting the width you want) to ensure the blur spreads evenly around the text frame.

Transparency test_MEB.afpub

To change the colour of the text to black on the right page on top, select that text frame, go to the Fill colour well in the context toolbar and set it to black.