You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Measuring and Line Length

I wrote this message in reply to a similar post from @SpongeBob thinking that I was replying to this thread.

I have been trying to  rise to this challenge, albeit in a half-hour chunks of php programming here and there when I had a moment.

I have written a PHP script embedded in a web page that looks at a SVG file and extracts paths, and calculates the length of each segment in the path (a segment is a stretch between two nodes.The units are the units defined within the SVG file. I'm not sure how they would map into actual units in a Designer file.

To measure the length along a curve, it is broken up into a series of arcs each of which is approximated by a line. By default it uses 20 such arcs, which seems to give adequate accuracy.

I would welcome any feedback on this script, as well as the user interface. On my PC, Kaspersky seems to inject its own components which seem to clobber my careful styling of the interface.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 year later...

How is it possible that in a program that is supposed to be professional I cant even find out how long my line is while I draw it consistently.

I am not a professional at all. All I am trying to do is use it to make floor plans for a renovation project. Not being able to easily see the length of a line is absurd. I am a NOOB and immediately this missing feature makes my job a lot more difficult. Surely the program has this information already. Just give me a tiny little window in the toolbar that shows the length. People have been asking for this for five years. This seems to be to be a tool as necessary as the pen tool itself. Baffled. 

2 hours ago, Sugar Lion said:

Just give me a tiny little window in the toolbar that shows the length.

In version 1.9 the Transform panel shows the length when you select a straight line with the Move Tool.

Affinity Designer Help: Transform panel

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i want to add my voice to those requesting a measurement feature for curves / Lines, i cant measure a curved path? i am currently designing patterns for millinery,  i used to be able to do this in illustrator and this function was easily accessed but i am stumped as to how this is not possible in a drawing program. 

• 3 months later...