You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spacing not working correct

I've now tried for quite some time to figure out what the issue is, but I've given up and believe its a bug. The spacing of both sections with red are having a 2,8mm in spacing (same setting for everything else), but its easy to see that its not the same. I copied in the top text as "paste without format" but it still made the old (right looking) text slimmer. How come?

Skærmbillede 2018-10-29 kl. 15.16.48.png

Do you mean the leading is different for the two Paragraphs? you can change it to be the same in the Paragraphs Studio. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

Do you mean the leading is different for the two Paragraphs? you can change it to be the same in the Paragraphs Studio. 

It is exactly the same, but visually its not. Thats the issue. All settings are 1:1 but its easy to see something is not the same

• Staff

Hi Morten,

In your first post you say the spacing is set to 2.8mm but none of the text boxes is set to that in the file you have provided which setting were you referring to?

Thanks

Calum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

6 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Morten,

In your first post you say the spacing is set to 2.8mm but none of the text boxes is set to that in the file you have provided which setting were you referring to?

Thanks

Calum

True. That was the original file that had the 2,8mm. This is 1.9mm but the issue is similar

1 hour ago, Morten_Hjort said:

True. That was the original file that had the 2,8mm. This is 1.9mm but the issue is similar

Just to be sure, what application are you using?

You've posted in the Publisher bugs forum, but you provided a Designer (.afdesign) sample file, which is a bit confusing :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 10/29/2018 at 6:25 PM, Morten_Hjort said:

I made manual changes all over the file, so now I cannot recreate but I got the same problem in another. So try to copy paste in unformatet text into the attached

Clipboard.afdesign

If you use Text > Show Special Characters, you'll see that every line is a separate paragraph, and from the Paragraph panel you have set Space Before Paragraph to 1.3 pt on most of the paragraphs. So you are getting an extra 1.3 pt between the lines that doesn't come from leading.

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Just to be sure, what application are you using?

You've posted in the Publisher bugs forum, but you provided a Designer (.afdesign) sample file, which is a bit confusing :)

Ahh sorry. My mistake. Was also working in Publisher, so maybe that triggered me to post in the wrong place. Is it possible to move the post myself?

7 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

If you use Text > Show Special Characters, you'll see that every line is a separate paragraph, and from the Paragraph panel you have set Space Before Paragraph to 1.3 pt on most of the paragraphs. So you are getting an extra 1.3 pt between the lines that doesn't come from leading.

Hmm I see no such option here. Is there another way to show the special characters?

Skærmbillede 2018-10-31 kl. 16.44.44.png

4 minutes ago, Morten_Hjort said:

Hmm I see no such option here. Is there another way to show the special characters?

It's a Publisher option. Designer doesn't have it. It can help diagnose problems, but now we know what the problem is in this case and you don't need it to solve it. You can select the text and set Space Before Paragraph to 0.

22 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

It's a Publisher option. Designer doesn't have it. It can help diagnose problems, but now we know what the problem is in this case and you don't need it to solve it. You can select the text and set Space Before Paragraph to 0.

Yeah sorry. But since I didn't open this in Publisher the issue is still there. And sorry for the confusion. 

1 hour ago, Morten_Hjort said:

As far as I can see it is only 1 paragraph

I am seeing each line as a paragraph.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 minutes ago, Morten_Hjort said:

But it's not. Have you checked in the file?

What they are saying is that each line is followed by a "return", making each a separate paragraph. That's hard to see when you examine the file using Designer, but clear when you examine it using Publisher.

To fix the file:

1. Delete the hidden "return" at the end of each line, and replace with a shift-return.

Or

2. Change the setting that Dave Harris mentioned, which will make the number of paragraphs irrelevant.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.