PhotographyRick

Affinity Photo slow, stuttering and freezing on Windows 10

Good morning, several months ago, I wrote about an issue where painting in an unsharp mask on a live layer caused Affinity to slow down. It seemed to have gotten with a couple updates, but recently Affinity has slowed down so much that it is nearly unusable. Here is what I am experiencing...

At 100% zoom, scrolling is stop and go, sometimes freezing for several seconds at a time

When painting an unsharp mask or high pass filter at any zoom the program will freeze on and off, sometimes for seconds at a time. This is extremely frustrating when working on detailed areas of a photo because the lag is significant. Often times the brush will get stuck in the paint position regardless of what buttons I am pressing on the mouse - which of course results in unwanted painted areas and more time erasing it.  

Inpainting corners of a photo after cropping (like blank areas of the photo) completely locks up the program (it does not recover). I can get away with tiny strips of blank space, but significant sizes (say a half inch (1.27cm) to an inch (2.54cm) width will crash it).

After completing work on two or more live layers, I often add a curves adjustment above the pixel layer. The curves adjustment will NOT have any histogram information, and adjusting the curve will not change the main histogram in Affinity. Sometimes it will recover after several minutes, sometimes not. The only solution I have found is to save the project and open it again, but this is not practical. 

When I had similar problems months ago, I checked the system's memory and CPU usage extensively and found that memory was never an issue. In each case, the CPU was stressed to 100% which in turn locked the program. Interestingly, it got better until recently (within the last 4 to 6 weeks). Today Affinity Photo works as bad as it has since I began using it 

Intel i5-7500

EVGA Geforce 1060 (6BG)

250GB SSD

16GB RAM

Hi PhotographyRick,

Welcome to the forums :)

I am sorry to hear the app isn't performing well for you. If possible could you provide a screen recording of the app running slow and the file you are working with?

Thanks

Callum

Hi Callum,

PhotographyRick is not the only one experiencing stuttering performance when working with live filter layers. My experience is very similar to the extent that I have to merge layers every so often to avoid AP freezing or taking minutes to render an image, making the whole editing process verge on the useless. If I were a pro using the app for commercial purposes I would have given up using it some time ago.

I understand that the problem is caused by each live filter re-rendering the image every time a change is made, so that if you have various live filters stacked, the process extends geometrically. I wonder whether there will ever be a solution to this technical conundrum for the average user without access to a quantum computer? My system is Win 10 with I7 3.6 GHz, 16 Gb ram and 8Gb on graphics card.

Thanks.

Andrew Turner

Meanwhile it gets improved or you getting a quantum computer, might be used the trick of using "merge visible" extra layer + deactivating the actual filters (not deleting  them). It is very well explained in this (recent) tutorial linked below. Tip number 3, I'm linking directly to that very moment, to make it faster for you  :

https://youtu.be/eL9uAr7LSvU?t=148

Can be particularly useful specially with those live filters you are definitely happy with, and so can use a "rasterized" approach from them on, and if you need fine tune those for whatever reason in a certain moment, you can always reactivate and finetune just that. But don't need to have that live processing all the time.... My 2c.

PD: the difference is perhaps merging (in a similar way, using merge visible extra layer), but not deleting the live group, just deactivating those.

PD 2 : I'm a pro  :p  ;) 

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Thank You SrPx; excellent suggestion which I have acted upon. While "Merging Visible" takes a while, it only happens once, so I do it when on a coffee break! Incidentally, pressing shift/ctrl/alt - E simultaneously achieves the same result. The important thing is to remember to disable the filters below the new pixel layer.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction; purchase of quantum computer is now on hold.

PD: at 76 I'm still learning! :D

You are very welcome (and you are still young.  :)  ). I am very glad if it could help you.  All the merit and credit has to go to Scott Williams, author of that excellent video.

Cheers,  :) 

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.