You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Destructive cropping!!

I find myself looking many times for ways to destructive crop vector illustrations to bounds. By lacking a better feature for this I use the boolean tools everytime now, but that's pretty time consuming and far from efficient to do this because we need to use those boolean operations on all elements that are half inside and half outside the bounds. I know there are some ways to mask and crop things in a non-destructive way, but for the projects I do I need this to be destructive.

What I am looking for is actually a way to 'apply' a mask or crop. Like you apply strokes with 'outline stroke' or 'convert to curves' to outline text and primitives. I've recently opened this in the questions forum, but nobody came with a way to do this and I looked for this everywhere, so I'm pretty sure it's not possible in the software.

The way I do it now is just way too much work for such a very common task I do so often and not the nicest thing to do. It can literally take hours to crop complex vectorimages and there's no way to automate this. It's also pretty prone to errors, because it's easy to miss small elements during the process.

This is one simplified/slowed down version of what I have to do now with ALL elements, just to destructive crop the curves to the bounds. I also tried other methods, but it all comes down to the same repetitve workflow:

Also see my other thread in the questions forum:

Thanks,

Maarten