You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggest : QRCode (or BarCode) generator

Hi all,

I'm an happy user of Publisher (and Affinity Photo) :D

What do you say about a barcode generation feature (QRCode for exemple)

More and more publish use QRCode inside, and this feature will be nice for them (and me 9_9)

What do you think ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I would love to see a plug-in like Barcode maker that is on InDesign. I would like to pass off some of my barcode work to non-designers at my company but it's hard to justify them buying a copy of ID and Barcode Maker just so that they can do this one function. I wonder if there is a good solution to do this in Word? That way they could use a program that they are very familiar with.

One of the reasons barcode generation software exists for even 1D barcodes  is because many formats ("symbologies", as they're called) incorporate check digits, a sort of error correction feature. In a simple example, a six-digit barcode might encode some data that looks like XXXXXY. Only the first five digits are user-supplied data; Y is a check digit, calculated from XXXXX. Barcode readers use this for error correction. The reader knows how to calculate a check digit, so it can reject an inaccurate scan if the value it computes for Y doesn't match the value in the barcode.

Technically, you can compute a check digit yourself and type it using one of those barcode fonts, but the font has no way of knowing whether or not what you typed is valid. (You can also hand-draw a barcode using lines of different thicknesses, if you really want to.)

Of course it would be nice, if there is a barcode generator in Publisher, but really necessary? There are so many online resources for free or small money or big money who could do better for all kind of barcodes and Serif has not to focus writing code on a new field / topic / function. E.g.

https://barcode.tec-it.com/en

https://zxing.appspot.com/generator/

https://www.qrcode-monkey.com/

just to name a few.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

5 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Of course it would be nice, if there is a barcode generator in Publisher, but really necessary? There are so many online resources for free or small money or big money who could do better for all kind of barcodes and Serif has not to focus writing code on a new field / topic / function. E.g.

I wasn't thinking serif would do but a 3rd party. The ID one I was talking about is 3 party. Quark unfortunately doesn't have something like that which is surprising for how long it has been out.

1 hour ago, KipV said:

I wasn't thinking serif would do but a 3rd party. The ID one I was talking about is 3 party. Quark unfortunately doesn't have something like that which is surprising for how long it has been out.

You can create a QRCode in Q, but one at a time.

I use an external application as when I do them, I generally need more than one. They are then merged.