You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all.
I am frequently required to work using Maltese and other European languages, all of which contain a number of characters that are easily available via the glyphs palette. However, when I click/drag over a character in order to substitute the correct Maltese glyph, the glyph palette (currently) doesn't automatically update to the same font as the one I'm working with. The glyph will substitute as required but in a different typeface to the run of text. This means (obviously) I subsequently have to re-select the glyph and manually change the font/weight to match in with the surrounding type. It would be far more efficient if the glyph palette instantly mirrored the typeface, weight, size and any tracking/baseline shift adjustments automatically, as soon as the text to be amended was selected.

There are times when I want a glyph from a different font.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Appreciate that Bruce, however, I'm sure that isn't the case when the glyph appears in the middle of a word. As this is invariably the case, surely a default within the glyph palette to match the currently selected font/size etc, would speed up the workflow. Obviously, for other instances, the font etc, would be easily adjusted manually.

Ah, yes I see, the panel does not update once I choose a new font even if I close it before choosing the new font. I haven't checked the other things you have mentioned like tracking but I would expect those to be inherited upon replacing the glyph.

Is this a bug or just a poor choice of behaviour. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

11 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Ah, yes I see, the panel does not update once I choose a new font even if I close it before choosing the new font. I haven't checked the other things you have mentioned like tracking but I would expect those to be inherited upon replacing the glyph.

Is this a bug or just a poor choice of behaviour. 

It's as designed as far as I remember. 

The font used where the text caret is should be the font first shown.

43 minutes ago, MikeW said:

It's as designed as far as I remember. 

The font used where the text caret is should be the font first shown.

I worded my reply poorly. I select some text (Arial example) and open the Glyph Browser for the first time which shows Arial's glyphs, this is great. I make my substitutions and continue working. I find some text which is set in Courier and wish to make an change, I select a character and open the Glyph Browser and see that Arial is still selected. I can change the font to Courier but why is the Glyph Browser smart enough to select the selected font only the first time it is opened?

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I worded my reply poorly. I select some text (Arial example) and open the Glyph Browser for the first time which shows Arial's glyphs, this is great. I make my substitutions and continue working. I find some text which is set in Courier and wish to make an change, I select a character and open the Glyph Browser and see that Arial is still selected. I can change the font to Courier but why is the Glyph Browser smart enough to select the selected font only the first time it is opened?

It's not "smart enough." The glyph browser is either simply using whatever your default font is or the first listed font...I don't know which because I haven't changed my default font. And, for myself, the Glyph browser should not work the way it does and have no inclination to test it the way it operates.

14 minutes ago, MikeW said:

It's not "smart enough."

Damn, I have been jumping to conclusions and got bit by a coincidence, you are right. The Glyph Browser is not smart at all. [unhappy-face emoticon][even-unhappier-face emoticon]

The Glyph browser will track the text selection's font if you click the Lock Font and Traits button that looks like an anchor. There is no need to track size of other attributes as they will be taken from the text selection anyway.

We plan to make this behaviour the default, and also to tweak the icon on the button to make it more obvious what it does.

Great news Mr. Harris. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I have just clicked on the 'padlock' icon top right in the glyphs palette and 'hey presto' it works!!! I have been using InDesign since 2004 or so (right from the start) and obviously, this facility has been available (and taken for granted) within InDesign since then. I have also been unfortunate enough to have had to use CorelDraw at a company I freelanced with recently and as CorelDraw does not have the same functionality, it has had a detrimental effect on workflow. The facility to automatically syncs glyphs to the selected font has always been very important to us guys that use non-English Latin based or other alphabets (Cyrillic, Arabic etc...). Occasionally, some typefaces that would appear be ideal for a text font for use in a number of different languages don't actually contain all the glyphs you might require for all those international documents, as such, having instant access to the available glyphs for each font by clicking in the text field and referring to the available glyphs automatically via the glyphs palette allows me to make the decision to use a particular font 'across the board' instantly.
Thanks also to Old Bruce and MikeW for their input...