You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Warped Text as Curves for Designer/Photo with PSE and Photopea

Hi there!

One of the features many of us are waiting for is the Mesh Warp/Distort Tool. And some forum members have asked for a workaround. So, here is one but you need Photoshop Elements for it to work.

PSE has the ability to Warp Text, but if you save the file and then you try to open the PSD in Designer/Photo, it will be a pixel Layer, something we don't want. Now, in PSE you can't convert text to Shapes/Paths/Curves... because it's hidden. For that, there is an add-on (you can download the Demo for the version of PSE that you have. In my case, it's version 10) to make all of PSE features available. So, the workflow would be like this:

• Create a Text in PSE and warp it.

image.png.33031bef6a8ef735141fae7d9417ec12.png

• Open the Elements+ Demo window and apply the Convert to Shape Effect (consider duplicating the Text Layer prior to this in order to have a bakup).

image.png.7893604da3122b84c3508c77f523d47b.png

• After that, if you save the file and then open it in Designer, you will have a Compund with clean and lovely vectors.

image.png.6b6c5dc922bb3cbbdade520d748394d2.png

It's not ideal, but maybe this will work for some.

Best regards!

• 2 weeks later...

Another option, Photopea, an online Image editor, and this one is for free.

• First, create a new document and write your text:

image.thumb.png.4f0d9935332847611cb82a72a150097d.png

• Then, warp it the way you want it to be and create a copy of it.

image.thumb.png.8f289058160138b74a742dc439d6a04e.png

• Right click on any of the Texts, in the Layers Panel, and click on "Convert to Shape"

image.thumb.png.fb640672ac763b1bc3eb79d74621798c.png

• Save it as PSD to your Computer:

image.thumb.png.2723dda485e0f88129682bf8c64183c3.png

• You can open the file in Photo/Designer... but here is the thing, you have the text Curves and Pixels. Right now, text in a PSD file generated by Photopea opens as a Bitmap object, but if you open it again in Photopea, it's still recognized as editable Text.

image.thumb.png.3d2e3911a4e209b17419acd79fd5d834.png

Hope this is of use for anyone.

Best regards!

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2018 at 12:56 PM, Mithferion said:

Hi there!

One of the features many of us are waiting for is the Mesh Warp/Distort Tool. And some forum members have asked for a workaround. So, here is one but you need Photoshop Elements for it to work (I tried the same in Photopea, but I had no success).

PSE has the ability to Warp Text, but if you save the file and then you try to open the PSD in Designer/Photo, it will be a pixel Layer, something we don't want. Now, in PSE you can't convert text to Shapes/Paths/Curves... because it's hidden. For that, there is an add-on (you can download the Demo for the version of PSE that you have. In my case, it's version 10) to make all of PSE features available. So, the workflow would be like this:

Thanks for this. I also have PSE 10, and can/will use this workaround.

Let's add the free LibreOffice Draw & Writer software here, that offers and can do a lot with text, diagramming & arrows etc. and even 3D objects here, which AD actually doesn't. - The LibreOffice suite offers the Fontwork tool here for such purposes ...

... LO Draw can also export to various vector/bitmap formats which then can be imported into AD for reusing.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I don't have the funds for PSE so I decided to try the Photopea method. I did this instead of the .psd method.

After doing the Convert to Shape step, instead of saving as a PSD, go up to the top and click the SVG button. I can confirm it exports a vector file of the text and warp. Then import to AD. No the text is not editable in that form but you can always go back to Photopea and do it again -or- save it as the .psd if you think you might need to change it and wait until your art is finalized to convert to shape and download .svg

Thank you Mithferion for the idea! Now I no longer need Photoshop for anything!