You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving RAW presets; hiding menu

In my evaluation of Affinity (the program is becoming increasingly attractive), two things are frustrating me. The first is important to me, the second less so but useful:

1. Presets. I have seen a video which shows how to save a RAW preset, where the presenter right clicks on the Preset tab and is asked which one to use or whether to create a new one. When I do the same, the only option shown is Default which is, of course, already selected. If I click on this it takes my work back to square one. How do I enable saving of presets?

2. Menu. Most (all?) the videos show the menu bar hidden until the user takes the cursor up to the top of the screen. How do I hide the menu bar and save that little bit of screen space?

Thanks to those who will reply.

DaveMM

• Staff

HI DaveMM,

Welcome to the forums.

Each panel within the Develop Persona has a Preset dropdown, so once you have made adjustments to the options on that panel click on the preset dropdown and select Add Preset. A new window will appear asking you for a set a name for the preset. Now when you load an image you can go straight to the preset dropdown and select the one you created. 

Which menu bar are you referring to or point me to the video you watched.

If you are seeing something different take a screenshot and upload.

6 hours ago, DaveMM said:

2. Menu. Most (all?) the videos show the menu bar hidden until the user takes the cursor up to the top of the screen. How do I hide the menu bar and save that little bit of screen space?

Many of the videos use the Mac version, & often use the "Full screen" option. That feature isn't limited to the Affinity apps; it is provided by the Mac OS windowing system. It can be activated either from the Window menu, or in almost all Mac apps by clicking on the green "traffic light" button in the upper lefthand corner of the window header. (In the Affinity apps it is not available in Window > Separated mode.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks, guys, for your response.

Lee D: I have realised what I was doing wrong in the Preset selection. I was clicking on the down arrow next to the Preset box, whereas I need to click on the three lines just to the right of the Overlays box.

R C-R: I am using Windows, so now know that I cannot expect Mac functionality.

Problems solved, though I'm sure to be back as I am going to buy Affinity Photo. So much more powerful than Elements (which is too much biased towards guided edits) and so much more affordable than Photoshop. As a retired amateur I cannot justify the ongoing PS cost. I will miss the convenience of Elements Organiser, but can still use it with some effort.