You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Confused by brush mask not behaving the same on desktop & iPad

Perhaps there is something that I am not understanding about the iPad vs, which I've had for a long time, but am only just trying out now.

I have a file, that I can brush a mask in and out with black and white on the desktop vs. and it behaves as expected. When I transfer the file to iPad and do the exact same thing, it behaves as if the brush is grey, whether I choose black or white.  Does anyone have any idea where I may be going wrong ... or is this a bug?

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

55 minutes ago, GFS said:

Bumb on this ... where do I send the screen-recordings?

Just post it here, select Click to choose files at bottom of a new post. 

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Hi @GFS

I tried something similar to your file and it worked as expected, just like on the desktop version.

The only way I could get something similar to your problem was if I set the opacity of the mask layer (pressing the more button)  to 25% or similar.

Sorry if it's no help :(

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff

Hi GFS,
Don't use just the CMYK black (K) to paint on the mask as it will not give you a true/rich (blackest) black. Set all CMYK sliders to 100% or pick the black from the RGB sliders (all to 0%) or set the Lightness to 0% in the HSL sliders instead and you should get the same result as in the desktop.

Hi MEB,

thanks for jumping in.

The colour picker is indeed the problem, but the bug actually goes beyond that.

Obviously, you wouldn’t choose RGB sliders to change the colour from white to grey to black (3 sliders instead of 1).  But playing around with them, I find that the HSL sliders are also buggy (which is what I normally use and therefore why I tried another colour model when I found it not working correctly).  Sometimes the HSL choice is refusing to paint at all, when white is selected.  I switch to black and it’s as expected, back to white ... nothing.  In fact, right now, switching around, I can’t get HSL to paint with white.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)