Bernd

unusable slider ranges in macro dialogs

Hi!

I found unusable slider ranges in macro dialogs.

I've got frequency separation and Gaussian blur as (combined) interactive steps in one macro. The sliders in the dialog box are barely usable. I usually need to vary the values between 0 and 20, which is only a tiny bit of range at the left edge. A slider movement of 1 screen pixel causes a change of about '6 px' in the radius, but high accuracy (in a .x pixel range) is mandatory.

The range of the high pass radius is 0 ... 100 px standalone, but 0 ... 1024 px in the macro dialog,
the range of the Gaussian blur radius is 0 ... 100 px standalone, but 0 ... 1024 px in the macro dialog.
With identical range and behavior for standalone and macro dialog use, everything would be fine.

Workaround welcome, fix preferred, personal error possible. :)

Best regards,
Bernd

Hi Bernd,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm not sure if I understand your issue completely. 

If possible could you provide a screen recording of the issue?

Thanks

C

Hi Callum,

It's pretty easy to understand if you give it a try.

1) Standalone high pass filter
Adjust the range using the slider in the dialog. It ranges from 0 ... 100. Works just fine.

2) Macro dialog
Create a macro containing the high pass filter. Make the high pass filter interactive to pop up the dialog.
The slider range now is 0 ... 1024. The left part of the slider range, 0 ... 100 does the same as in the standalone dialog. The rest, 101 ... 1024, is useless.
And with less than 10% of the slider range, an accurate setting of the filter radius is impossible.

The same for Gaussian blur.

Screen recording attached.

Best regards,
Bernd

Hi!

I'm afraid that I've given a poor example using 'Frequency Separation'.
It's better to use Gaussian blur. Compare '100' (max) for the standalone filter with '100' (of '1024') for the macro dialog and compare both. They are the same.
Now for the blur, try to vary the radius between .5 and 5. It works fine in the standalone filter dialog. But try the same in the macro dialog, when the range is 0 ... 1024. Additionally, there seems do be a difference in the (non-)linearity of the slider behavior. The behavior of the standalone tool slider is much better to use.

Best regards,
Bernd