You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Simple copy and paste a selction

Hi everyone,

sorry for being a noob here. I’m slowly getting use to layers, pixel layers, rasterising etc. I’ve attached an image. It took me a while to figure out I had to rasterise it before I could start selecting and copying sections, as it was a pixel layer when I opened it I assumed I did not need to rasterise it. But I could not copy or duplicate the selection until I did this.

Anyway, forget the dodgy picture here, it could be anything. What I just want to be able to do is in effect select and area, then copy and paste that same area multiple times. It just seems so tricky. I select the area, copy it, then paste it where I want, but when I hit paste again, I get a different selction! Duplicating seems the same as well. I tried copying, then pasting, then deselecting all the other layers except the one I just pasted, hit copy again, and re-elected the other layers so I could see them and then it paste again. That seemed to work, but then did not after like the 3rd time. Also that seems to be a long winded multi step way to achieve something that surely should be easier and I hope is!

So I guess what I’m asking is what are the steps to select an area, copy or duplicate it and then paste it where I want as often as I want.

Thanks in advance,

yours,

Noob

Untitled_3.afphoto

Hi @Ikikuru

I think first of all you need to clean up the file by removing everything except the background image, or use a new image. Hard to tell what you are selecting and copying with all those odd layers. Then make sure it is a pixel layer (rasterised).

In the Selection Persona, make a selection, making sure the correct layer is selected first.

Back in the Photo Persona, go Document menu > Pasteboard and tap Copy.

Return to the Pasteboard and tap Paste.

Keep repeating Pasteboard > Paste until you get as many copies as you want.

As an alternative to using the Pasteboard, menu if you make a selection in the Selection Persona and return to the Photo Persona you can long-press one finger on screen to bring up the Copy and Paste options. There is also a Duplicate option, which is a bit quicker than copying and pasting.

Another method is to make one copy, then with the Move tool selected, press and hold two fingers and then drag the selection. That duplicates it too.

Note: New copies will always be placed above the selected layer, not at the top of the layer stack.

03D11483-EDA3-4898-927E-7128F7E31D31.jpeg.7fe65339b5b72c43ec2d40669481177e.jpeg

Use the layers panel to select the copies one by one so you can move them with the Move Tool.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.