woefi

AD: size/units change when opening an illustrator file

I use the iOS version of Designer to open (and convert) my illustrator files. I know that Designer‘s „import“ reads only the embedded Pdf-part of the ai-file, which is sad and on top of that on iOS it has problems with custom fonts (as there is no real font management on the iPad)

But one problem drives me crazy: I make my designs and occasional floor-plans in Millimeters and every single imported file comes in as points. 

As I learned in other places in this forum, there is an option „resize“ which you can use th change the units to milimeter, but that resizes the documents contents the wrong way. Of course, because I don‘t really want to „resize“ -  I want to „change the units“ or „KEEP ORIGINAL UNITS“ on import

So please, if that‘s a feature request or a bug report - This works in the desktop version. 

• Production-System: iMac (21,5-inch, Late 2013), 16GB RAM, 2TB nvme-SSD, running on 10.14.5 Mojave;
  • Display Setup: 27" Thunderbolt Display primary + 21,5" iMac-Display secondary for palettes;
  • Keyboard-Layout: German apple extended keyboard (aluminum);

Excuse me, but EVERY pdf I ever created is displayed with the right measurement on various systems and viewers (adobe or 3rd party).

Every fileformat has its internal unit-system but also some metadata to remember at which target-units you created it. So the question is: why does Designer-Mac respect those and Designer-iOS not?

• Production-System: iMac (21,5-inch, Late 2013), 16GB RAM, 2TB nvme-SSD, running on 10.14.5 Mojave;
  • Display Setup: 27" Thunderbolt Display primary + 21,5" iMac-Display secondary for palettes;

Cool your jets.

I wasn't commenting on what you want to happen, should happen or anything else. Just explaining that in your original post it doesn't matter whether you design in mm, meters, inches, feet or yards. Just that internally a pdf is points only.

I didn't comment on what the iPad does or doesn't do as I don't use an iPad.

fwiw, AD on windows opens a pdf in points. So if the Mac opens a pdf in mm or whatever units other than points, that's a difference between that OS and my experience using Windows.

Good luck.

OK, first sorry @MikeW, didn't want to offend you in any way, but your point did not explain why every other pdf-viewing program is able to retain the original measurements. Internals do not and have not to matter for the enduser.

I made a test and yeah... designer for mac also imports the files using points...

812165003_Bildschirmfoto2018-10-27um22_55_37.png.6b25d07a0d871f8a939fe3e801025a7d.png1287242282_Bildschirmfoto2018-10-27um22_58_18.png.0387a354b2c303034a4ea019632f07fa.png

I manually changed the units to mm and voilá: now its right. (on the desktop at least)

452551757_Bildschirmfoto2018-10-27um22_58_35.png.4e23d6519165b88feec83991e43e84d3.png

So why would this not work on the iPad... What does not smell right is that the iPad-menuitem for changing this is called "resize" I don't want to resize anything...

10 hours ago, woefi said:

What does not smell right is that the iPad-menuitem for changing this is called "resize" I don't want to resize anything...

As long as you make sure that Resample is turned off ( no blue ring around icon), the only change made is to units. 

66C5880E-2C6C-425E-BB34-FB936141D3CE.jpeg

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB lpadOS 13.1.3  Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 Affinity Design 1.7.3.1 Publisher for iPad ?

11 hours ago, DM1 said:

As long as you make sure that Resample is turned off ( no blue ring around icon), the only change made is to units. 

wow. just wow.

I have high hopes on affinity, but this UI is not easy discoverable... not at all  

I just tested this. It works. This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you, @DM1

This context-sensitive bottom row is really hard to understand. I never know if an icon is a toggle switch or a button... and it really makes no sense to change the dpi via a (percentage?) wheel-button or is it a download progress indicator? ;-)

46 minutes ago, woefi said:

This context-sensitive bottom row is really hard to understand. I never know if an icon is a toggle switch or a button... and it really makes no sense to change the dpi via a (percentage?) wheel-button or is it a download progress indicator? ;-)

This might help.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB lpadOS 13.1.3  Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 Affinity Design 1.7.3.1 Publisher for iPad ?

I know, RTFM... ;)

Well thank you!