Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wtmurph

Page Columns, not frame columns (split)

Recommended Posts

Used Quark Xpress professionally for many years and have been very happy with it,  but am intrigued about the possibility of a high-powered page layout app at a better price point. I've downloaded the beta of Publisher and have been playing around with it. It looks good but I haven't been able to figure out how to create columns for the entire page - i.e two columns, three columns, etc. I see that I can create columns for text boxes but I want columns in the background of the full page. I may be missing something but if I am, this feature should be a lot easier to access.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wtmurph said:

Used Quark Xpress professionally for many years and have been very happy with it,  but am intrigued about the possibility of a high-powered page layout app at a better price point. I've downloaded the beta of Publisher and have been playing around with it. It looks good but I haven't been able to figure out how to create columns for the entire page - i.e two columns, three columns, etc. I see that I can create columns for text boxes but I want columns in the background of the full page. I may be missing something but if I am, this feature should be a lot easier to access.

This is not currently implemented, and I'm unclear to whether they are going to implement this. If you look up grid, you will find other threads regarding this issue.

Based on what I've been able to scry from the various threads (my opinion only) is that Affinity seems to be coming at the issue from a design angle rather than a book/publishing one, and as a result have not built in a proper layout grid structure. One suggested work around (IIRC from a forum member, not Affinity Staff) was to create a Master page with a full page text frame, and lock it to a particular layer with the desired number of columns and gutter sizes. 

SDLeary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking for the same thing. From how it looks, Affinity is building out a lot of features for what I have seen Graphic Artists use InDesign for: wire-frames and mock-ups. In My opinion this is not a great direction for the product because there are far superior tools like Sketch & InVision for these tasks (even Affinity Designer works okay for those tasks). I would like to see Affinity focus a more at the Desktop Publishing world  (like Quark users) and leave the UI/UX stuff alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Column guides are available in the most recent beta release.  They are set up from within Guides Manager.

Thanks for point this out, I would miss that otherwise!

However, the columns might be set symmetrically only right now, is that correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lexislav said:

Thanks for point this out, I would miss that otherwise!

However, the columns might be set symmetrically only right now, is that correct?

The width of each column will be the same but they are set as mirror images on the left and right page narrow gutter distance and wider outer page distance. And then there is also a different offset for top and bottom.


MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.12.6

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.270 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.112 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 12:18 PM, fde101 said:

Column guides are available in the most recent beta release.  They are set up from within Guides Manager.

Absolute legend. Think they need to do a video for this, or make it more obvious? Loving it so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×