You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Haze removal

unni

Thanks for showing the original picture

What sort of camera was this taken with?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Thanks for showing the original picture

What sort of camera was this taken with?

its with nikon d7000 and kit lens. i have used nd filter also. nd64 or nd1000, i dont remember.  ND was used to get the water surface smooth. 

A nice bit of post-processing. 

3 hours ago, unni said:

ND was used to get the water surface smooth. 

As a matter of interest, why did you feel the need to smooth the water suface? Did the extended exposure time affect the clarity of moving objects. I am thinking of the boat in the middle-right. It does not look as clear to me.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I think an ND would have been fine on a lake but not a harbour, especially if the water wasn't still, everything on it would not be still. 

If you have the option to take this again try a polarising filter.

I like how the image is mainly muted and practically monotone with a band of colour created by the ships.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Doesn’t that also act as a neutral density filter? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Doesn’t that also act as a neutral density filter? :/

It would make the colours pop a bit more and probably give a bit of clarity to the image.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

It would make the colours pop a bit more and probably give a bit of clarity to the image.

I know that, but I was focusing(!) on the ND aspect. :)

Alfred spacer.png

27 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I know that, but I was focusing(!) on the ND aspect. :)

I know, ;) I wasn't lol :P 

Pretty much any filter you place on your lens will reduce light to a point where you have to compensate but it would be called a PolariserND filter if its intended purpose was to extend shutter times. O.o

I feel the need for some Polarising and NDising photography today

32 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Pretty much any filter you place on your lens will reduce light to a point where you have to compensate but it would be called a PolariserND filter if its intended purpose was to extend shutter times. O.o

What I was getting at is that if a neutral density filter “would have been fine on a lake but not a harbour”, then I think the same argument should apply to a polarizing filter (which, because of what it does, effectively has a neutral density filter built in).

Alfred spacer.png

26 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

What I was getting at is that if a neutral density filter “would have been fine on a lake but not a harbour”, then I think the same argument should apply to a polarizing filter (which, because of what it does, effectively has a neutral density filter built in).

I get ya gist, but a harbour by its nature is going to be more active, i.e. the sea has more motion, vehicles are more frequent and water activity in general is more dynamic. Trying to get a good image by having a slow shutter isn't a viable option unless your aim is to create a surreal visual impression of the activity of that harbour. Lakes generally have less or no activity and on the right day with no or very little wind you can get a glass finish on a lake while the sea is still prone to tidal movement. 

The reduction in light from a polarising filter is a consequence of its properties but its primary purpose is to reduce reflections and saturate colours, an ND blocks all light via it's density and does nothing more. I suppose you could use a polarising filter as an ad-hoc ND filter of sorts, especially if their is no sun (Overcast day) and you forgot your fav ND filters but I doubt you'd get the results you're after.

But a polarising filter has only the same effect as an ND of just a few stops. The OP was using either an ND64 or ND1000 which I would guess would have considerably more stopping power (6-10 stops).

My original question was why the OP (or anyone else) would want to smooth out the water surface in the first place. I know it is a matter of aesthetics and opinion, but I was seeking @unni's opinion. I'm sure that @firstdefence and that fellow with an unwritable name both have their own thoughts on it.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

8 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

But a polarising filter has only the same effect as an ND of just a few stops. The OP was using either an ND64 or ND1000 which I would guess would have considerably more stopping power (6-10 stops).

My original question was why the OP (or anyone else) would want to smooth out the water surface in the first place. I know it is a matter of aesthetics and opinion, but I was seeking @unni's opinion. I'm sure that @firstdefence and that fellow with an unwritable name both have their own thoughts on it.

John

We run away with discussions sometimes John. All of the above is subject to creative license, You can have 20 people and they will all have different advice and opinions on a given image, they will mean different things, jog memories and stir emotions, that's what I like about photography and art in general, the connections you make are as important as the art.

33 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I'm sure that @firstdefence and that fellow with an unwritable name both have their own thoughts on it.

John

How is ‘Alfred’ any more unwritable than ‘Dex’ or ‘John’? :/

BTW, I agree with you about smoothing out the water surface. :)

Alfred spacer.png

8 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

How is ‘Alfred’ any more unwritable than ‘Dex’ or ‘John’?

Probably in terms of the forums @ sign quotting.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

56 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

All of the above is subject to creative license,

@firstdefence, That is why I was asking for @unni's opinion.

John

6 hours ago, John Rostron said:

A nice bit of post-processing. 

As a matter of interest, why did you feel the need to smooth the water suface? Did the extended exposure time affect the clarity of moving objects. I am thinking of the boat in the middle-right. It does not look as clear to me.

John

Hello john, The shot was at iso 100/f11/8sec/55mm/9am. So it was with ND1000. In the fishing harbour,  by this time most of the vessels would return and the fish will be at the counters and auction houses. You can note the many boats lying still at the far end after offloading the day's catch. Activity on the harbour then shifts to working inside the boat for maintenance, etc. So I felt like making the water slow down and avoid the ripples, just to give the feel of lesser activity. Infact, the shot was not seriously composed, the thought of slowing down came in as a casual thought . The small boat was stationed there and I think they were doing something with the net. First I thought of removing the boat but then decided to leave it because without it, the shot would look too flat.

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I think an ND would have been fine on a lake but not a harbour, especially if the water wasn't still, everything on it would not be still. 

I like how the image is mainly muted and practically monotone with a band of colour created by the ships.

I had the polariser but the light was too high for its ND property ( 1 stop, may be). I am yet to check the pol + ND combination though it is one of the mix that will be required for specific seascapes towards early/late twilight hours.

Nice to get the thought processes for an image and the "I wonder if" idea's that come to us. It's all part of the learning curve.

3 minutes ago, unni said:

, the thought of slowing down came in as a casual thought .

That seems a good enough reason to me!

John

This is in chennai city coast (India). These fishermen take enormous risks when they go out into the sea. When I saw their boats and trawlers, it was looking heavily used up and I think they customize the operational tools or other mechanisms related to their activity. I think the main share of the catch do not go to them . It will be going to the intermediate traders and other levels in the business chain. When they go out on rough sea days, they do not know whether they will be back. They earn on a daily basis, so no sail, no money. In july, there was a flood in Kerala state (India) which was happening after a 100 years. Around 35 dams were opened and overflowing ! State machinery and military was supporting the rescue but their modern boats could not go into all the flooded lanes of the city due to its design. During this time, similar fishermen from the neighboring towns and other districts took their boats and went all out for the rescue operations. It was just a spontaneous urge to save lives due to the confidence they have in working on rough waters.Their boats were powerful and could move through shallow waters. Operating round the clock, these guys saved several hundreds of lives. In the end, after a week or so, they returned to their homes. Many of their boats were unusable at the end of this operation and they refused to accept a single penny from the people they saved or from the government. What they said was that the honour given to them by the society was of highest value and they are satisfied by that. If you google on "kerala flood", similar news can be seen with details.