You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tables across more pages

On 10/28/2018 at 3:21 AM, grapher said:

they state on their web, that its successor (or alternative) is affinity publisher and pagePlus is now legacy

It is the successor in the sense that InDesign is the successor of PageMaker, not in the sense that InDesign CS6 came after CS5.

When InDesign was first released it was missing quite a bit that was in PageMaker too, and the programs were maintained in parallel for a while because of that.

InDesign was missing functionality that was critical to some users, so those users couldn't all switch right away.

4 hours ago, PaoloT said:

I'm a bit surprised by this statement. Part of my work in ID CS6 is made by huge tables running for more pages and thousand rows. Very often in two columns. Table/cell styles controlling each line. Everything works really fine, even if ID is slowed down (by with the current CPUs, or even the 2013 I'm using) this is not a major issue. ...

No one, me included, has an issue until they do. Having been on the Adobe ID forum for years, I've helped way too many people with table issues, largely related to t. styles. I haven't used CC for its last 5 releases and have no idea if still affected. I generally avoid tables if at all possible (very often are for my work) and so I probably haven't used table styles in ID since 2014/2015 or so.

Same with ID's data merge. Easily corrupted templates, but something some people claim to not ever experienced. Or, data on very long merges becoming out of record order--something that occurs to this day and extends back to the beginning.

25 minutes ago, MikeW said:

No one, me included, has an issue until they do. Having been on the Adobe ID forum for years, I've helped way too many people with table issues, largely related to t. styles.

I've been lucky, in the latest ten years (since I started using CS5.5 for heavy work, and then CS6). Table styles have been reliable for me, and they did their job when applying a different style sheet from a master document in the book (I usually have a version for the web with denser textures, one for the print with lighter or no one).

I've not followed this type of issues on the Adobe forums, since I didn't need help on this. I can however report that tables and related styles can work fine.

Paolo

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Glinkot said:

I would have thought product catalogues, if not printed reports, are a basic use case for a publishing tool.

It's for sure my own limitation, but I continue to not understand why someone would want to use a tool missing some basic features to do their job. If it's not there, it is not there, whatever you may complain.

Paolo

I think Glinkot and PauloT are in violent agreement about the utility of tables spanning (many) pages.  The difference in viewpoint seems to be "I use Publisher for publishing, so it needs to support it!" versus "If I need to make catalogs now, why would I even attempt to use Publisher?"
I suspect we all agree that getting the functionality into Publisher would be a positive thing.

14 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

I suspect we all agree that getting the functionality into Publisher would be a positive thing.

Absolutely! I'm growing more and more tired of ID. Can't wait for Publisher being a viable alternative (and, to be true, to be something new, and not just a replacement).

At the moment, it isn't. So, back to work with ID :(

Paolo

Is it correctly understood that Publisher does not support tables that flow over multiple pages yet, here close to four years after the first post in this thread?

I agree that "anything" can happen in the future (but it hasn't happened in years though), but that also includes that no such support will come, or that it won't be satisfactory, so I'll just ask for facts about the here and now.

/Eddie

Another missing feature:
Adding rows/columns before the first row/column.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

12 minutes ago, NNN said:

Another missing feature:
Adding rows/columns before the first row/column.

Work fine here (Windows)

Did you check the Help file?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

25 minutes ago, Customer Feedback said:

Is it correctly understood that Publisher does not support tables that flow over multiple pages yet, here close to four years after the first post in this thread?

I agree that "anything" can happen in the future (but it hasn't happened in years though), but that also includes that no such support will come, or that it won't be satisfactory, so I'll just ask for facts about the here and now.

/Eddie

Hijacking. This thread is about tables over several pages. 

13 minutes ago, Customer Feedback said:

Hijacking. This thread is about tables over several pages. 

Sorry, it was not intentional.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I will add my voice to tables flowing across multiple pages being an essential feature for an application like this.

Currently working on a table that happens to flow across 10 pages. Every time my fickle overlords ask me to add a row near the beginning, I have to manually move rows across ten pages. Publisher does not offer any convenient alternative workflows for this as well. 

It is weird no developer has bothered to address this thread in nearly four years. Very disappointing.

On 7/14/2022 at 3:12 PM, PaoloT said:

It's for sure my own limitation, but I continue to not understand why someone would want to use a tool missing some basic features to do their job. If it's not there, it is not there, whatever you may complain.

Paolo

True, it is indeed a difficult challenge to understand. If I may hazard a guess - perhaps those foolish someones want to provide their feedback in this thread in the "Feedback for Affinity Publisher on Desktop" forum? Just a thought.

4 minutes ago, mitth_raw_nuruodo said:

perhaps those foolish someones want to provide their feedback in this thread in the "Feedback for Affinity Publisher on Desktop" forum?

I might be wrong, but a feedback seems to me something different from pretending loudly that a particular feature is something that should have been there since the beginning, and you are ready to challenge the inept and malevolent developers to a duel for not having included it.

Paolo

This is feature im waiting for 4years now. Its simply stupid it isnt there yet. If you work with publisher, try to make large documents as it is possible in inDesign, not just fiddle with 2x A4 leaflets, then its very essential feature. You really dont want to manually divide every f table. This thread is here for ages now, and devs have to know about it for sure :) 

13 hours ago, grapher said:

This is feature im waiting for 4years now. Its simply stupid it isnt there yet.

That's the evil nature of the developers, wanting us to suffer for features that should be there, but they are refraining from including!

In any case, the program may be stupid, but insisting to use it for features it doesn't include is not smart either.

Paolo

Cmon Paolo, tell me then what it is made for? :) 

Lets ask  affinity product page:

"Optimised for the latest tech on Windows and Mac – and chosen by Apple as its Mac App of the Year – Affinity Publisher is the next generation of professional publishing software. From books, magazines and marketing materials, to social media templates, website mock-ups and more, this incredibly smooth, intuitive app gives you the power to combine your images, graphics and text to make beautiful layouts ready for publication."

Books. Magazines. Marketing materials, professional publishing. With manually divided tables? is it professional work for you?

2 hours ago, PaoloT said:

In any case, the program may be stupid, but insisting to use it for features it doesn't include is not smart either.

Just an overview of InDesign features since version 1. You can see if they had implemented all the features in v.1 that we use today or it was a long journey:

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://creativepro.com/downloads/A_Brief_History_of_InDesign.pdf

2 hours ago, grapher said:

Books. Magazines. Marketing materials, professional publishing. With manually divided tables? is it professional work for you?

I have to check, but I’m not totally sure the vast majority of the books and magazines in my home contain multi-page tables. Actually, I suspect that most of them don't even contain tables…

Paolo

well Paolo, then you r happy customer. But that doesnt mean that all companies have the same needs - we have many products in portfolio and in marketing materials, and each contain table with parameters... so many tables.

So, if i buy the program for professional use (not hobby project, not project from year 1990, but 2022) then i somehow think that these basic features will be included.