You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tables across more pages

its more and more to me, as if you released (to beta testing) some pre-alfa version without tons of very needed functions for professionals.
Well in my opinion, if you aim for multi page layout, this is must-have no matter what. Same, as the anchored images / objects, adding objects into the table, aswell anchored and data merge. 

Without these things its not much usable for larger professional work. 

This is not about whining or demanding things, its just that im a bit disappointed from the result, im waiting for over 2years. I hope that this software will one day replace the indesign, as i dont want to use it just because of adobe's philosophy.

But sadly not today, and sadly, not in distant future :( 

@grapher, did you ever see a version 1 of an application having all the features, which are present in similar, but substantial higher priced applications, which are on the market for many decades?

If yes, name them. If no, why do you expect and demand this for Affinity Publisher?

Stating, the actual beta, isn‘t even alpha, but pre-alpha, is really hard to understand, and in my very personal opinion quite insulting for the developer team.

10 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

@grapher, did you ever see a version 1 of an application having all the features, which are present in similar, but substantial higher priced applications, which are on the market for many decades?

If yes, name them. If no, why do you expect and demand this for Affinity Publisher?

Stating, the actual beta, isn‘t even alpha, but pre-alpha, is really hard to understand, and in my very personal opinion quite insulting for the developer team.

"Serif - Professional creative software". Its statement on their pages. Its not fun free project. I must insist on what i said. At this stage its not suitable for professional work. (i mean, by the functions , not because it may fall / die / delete your data). To me its like betatesting car with square wheels. You CAN move forward. Yes.  You can make rich publication, but when you change two sentences in the beginning, you have to manually move all the images, elements, tables etc. Fun in 50 pages publication with more than 100 images, icons. But, yes, you can.

Another thing is, where i just simply dont understand it, Serif have long term development of other DTP products, like pagePlus. How its even possible they release (even to "beta") such incomplete version? When they know, how people work with their products?

If you will start telling me that they may add the features... I asked about inserting objects into text, anchoring. Answer was - not in distant future, not in version 1.7 Too complicated. If this is true, serif didnt change their mind, and i didnt understood it wrong, than we have months, maybe year+ of development till first usable version for professional use. (.1 version in designer is 1y+ as far i follow the builds)

I dont think that im insulting the dev team. Im very impressed by their work. They work hard. Im still thinking, that this project is needed as salt.
Still, if there are not such basic things , its maybe alpha testing. really not beta testing of software for professional use.

20 hours ago, grapher said:

This is not about whining or demanding things, its just that im a bit disappointed from the result, im waiting for over 2years. I hope that this software will one day replace the indesign, as i dont want to use it just because of adobe's philosophy.

Serif have made it quite clear that the first version of Affinity Publisher was never going to be a complete replacement for InDesign.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred, i think you missed the message by the way. "Not making clone" doesnt mean, its not competition that will replace the indesign. It means simply it will not be 1:1 with the functions, which i fully understand. Own strategy and own way of doing things, yes. Thats why i switched from illustrator to designer long time ago. And still, its not clone (and im happy for it).  

1:1 means different things to different folks. For some people, they have enough functions to do what they need—I've looked at some of their work. Yet for others, APub will likely never be a replacement for ID or QXP, at least for all what they create. I fall into that last statement. For the middle group, it may take years for APub to become a 1:1 replacement. 

For many folk in that middle group, as APub matures, they may come to 1:1 parity sooner than others. It's just the nature of making something anew. Serif has a longer view than many of us customers even knowing all the while they may "never finish" adding in and changing functionality.

Mike

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

1:1 means different things to different folks. For some people, they have enough functions to do what they need—I've looked at some of their work. Yet for others, APub will likely never be a replacement for ID or QXP, at least for all what they create. I fall into that last statement. For the middle group, it may take years for APub to become a 1:1 replacement. 

For many folk in that middle group, as APub matures, they may come to 1:1 parity sooner than others. It's just the nature of making something anew. Serif has a longer view than many of us customers even knowing all the while they may "never finish" adding in and changing functionality.

Mike

I agree. Still, anchoring is extremly basic functionality :) for dedicated professional multi - page layout software. Noone can explain me why its not there. Sorry. I would understand data merge (hard, but yes, its not basic for me, even when i really need it), arrows or other tiny things.

Just now, grapher said:

I agree. Still, anchoring is extremly basic functionality :) for dedicated professional multi - page layout software. Noone can explain me why its not there. Sorry. I would understand data merge (hard, but yes, its not basic for me, even when i really need it), arrows or other tiny things.

I suspect anchoring of frames, tables & images will arrive much sooner than data merge. Heck, I suspect anchoring will be here well before the 2.x series arrives. 

My main hold-up is/will be the importing of tagged text (in QXP tagged text format, not ID's unnecessarily verbose tagged text). I will simply never do a book for a publisher inside APub without it.

13 minutes ago, grapher said:

Mike, well, look at the development of designer. How soon you think there will be versions 2.x ?   1.5 - 1.6 took over year in designer, 1.7 isnt yet released... :o

I understand. I have no idea how long anything will take. Heck, there isn't a roadmap...not that it would be a very good indicator of how long the items on it will take.

At times like this I am always reminded of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C6EwLTAvHc

2 minutes ago, grapher said:

yea :o)

;^-)

For another company, I am privy to a 3-year out roadmap that they have historically met, and exceeded at some major and dot releases. Kinda unusual, though. 

I have few expectations concerning Serif's roadmaps. At least as regards timing. I do trust that they will incorporate the items on those roadmaps, though. 

There are other mature layout applications available other than ID. Anyone that can make a change away from ID can make use of them if APub isn't all there for them at this point in time. 

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

There are other mature layout applications available other than ID. Anyone that can make a change away from ID can make use of them if APub isn't all there for them at this point in time. 

truth, but what i like about affinity is complexity - from designer and photo to publisher. All in one suite solution. For desktop publishing and web design i dont need more. You cannot find same approach in QXP nor in other apps (as far i know), excpt. adobe. 

1 minute ago, grapher said:

truth, but what i like about affinity is complexity - from designer and photo to publisher. All in one suite solution. For desktop publishing and web design i dont need more. You cannot find same approach in QXP nor in other apps (as far i know), excpt. adobe. 

Using Q doesn't mean not using APhoto nor ADesigner.

I have ID CS6 & AI CS6. I have always disliked PS once the CS versions came on the scene for all but one function: duotoned images. I do have one CS version I don't use) . I have never wanted to be tied to a single "suite." I do use a variety of vector drawing applications (I basically use AI as a glorified file converter). I use a few image editors and or applications for editing/creating bitmap images. I use 4 different layout applications, but of those I do use Q for the majority of my work. APub will never "be there" for what I create so while I will purchase licenses for it, it is not nor will be a replacement for Q for myself.

3 hours ago, grapher said:

Alfred, i think you missed the message by the way. "Not making clone" doesnt mean, its not competition that will replace the indesign. It means simply it will not be 1:1 with the functions, which i fully understand.

No, I got the message. I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, which is that for some people APub will do everything they currently ask of ID, but for (many) others it will never be a complete replacement because it won’t be a ‘clone’ in the sense of replicating every last one of the Adobe product’s functions. How those functions are implemented is a different matter: a stumbling block for some, perhaps, but not an insurmountable obstacle for most of us.

Alfred spacer.png

19 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

No, I got the message. I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, which is that for some people APub will do everything they currently ask of ID, but for (many) others it will never be a complete replacement because it won’t be a ‘clone’ in the sense of replicating every last one of the Adobe product’s functions. How those functions are implemented is a different matter: a stumbling block for some, perhaps, but not an insurmountable obstacle for most of us.

no offense, but noone can explain to me, that flow of elements is not basic function for multiple-pages editor. In many cases other functions, even i NEED them for my workflow, i agree with you.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Using Q doesn't mean not using APhoto nor ADesigner.

I have ID CS6 & AI CS6. I have always disliked PS once the CS versions came on the scene for all but one function: duotoned images. I do have one CS version I don't use) . I have never wanted to be tied to a single "suite." I do use a variety of vector drawing applications (I basically use AI as a glorified file converter). I use a few image editors and or applications for editing/creating bitmap images. I use 4 different layout applications, but of those I do use Q for the majority of my work. APub will never "be there" for what I create so while I will purchase licenses for it, it is not nor will be a replacement for Q for myself.

somehow i understand that :) have cs6 collection, and to be honest, i really love to work with AF designer. only thing i need to be fully satisfied is rotating and scaling selected points and solved bugs with constrains, and symbols. Yes, i whined about points control some time ago, after being in roadmap for ages, without update.

I work with many programs in different use cases. Like - making icons? have to use photoshop because of control of the points of curves, then import to designer. Webdesign - AF designer. DTP - small documents - designer, larger still IDcs6. Photo editing - capture one -> photoshop -> sometimes other one-function tools for enhancing.

9 minutes ago, grapher said:

no offense, but noone can explain to me, that flow of elements is not basic function for multiple-pages editor. In many cases, even i NEED them for my workflow, i agree with you.

Understood. I think we’re back to Dave Harris’s comment about releasing Affinity Publisher “as soon as it has enough to be useful to someone”. Expanding on that in another post, he went on to say “That someone may not be you.”

Alfred spacer.png

10 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Understood. I think we’re back to Dave Harris’s comment about releasing Affinity Publisher “as soon as it has enough to be useful to someone”. Expanding on that in another post, he went on to say “That someone may not be you.”

Sure, if majority will be satisfied with car with square wheels, yes, then its not for me :) On the other hand, look at forum, how many people are needing this feature..... tables are just a part of it.