RosomakPL

[AP], [AD] problem with copy/paste images from web browser

When I try to transfer pictures from an internet browser, it often gets different effects.

First case is the using the drag and drop method from the browser to the AP
browser: firefox
url: www.carlogos.org/logo/Ford-logo-2003-1366x768.png
effect - no transparency channel from PNG:

drag_and_drop_from_webbrowser.JPG.1c946a5b40970e265907c006d8e4a0f3.JPG

The second case is using "copy image" option from the browser and paste into the AP:
url: www.carlogos.org/logo/Ford-logo-2003-1366x768.png
effect - everything is ok:

copy-image-from-webbrowser.JPG.0b7c5ef2eb26e753218f023782a713a8.JPG

The third case. Using the "copy image" option from the browser and pasting into the AP but the image from "google images search":
url: www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=954&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=I9TSW8_pA6rgkgWt5LyIDw&q=ford+logo+png&oq=ford+logo+png&gs_l=img.3..0j0i30k1l2j0i5i30k1j0i8i30k1l6.15009.16314.0.16495.4.4.0.0.0.0.76.285.4.4.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.4.283....0.noiFRbH31Ac#imgrc=z1BwlaHhMbUukM:
effect - you can only see the path of the file on the disk. In google chrome, this is not happening.
I thought it was the browser's fault but when AP shows the path to the file, the windows "paint" works normally.
So it's not the fault of the firefox:

copy-image-from-firefox.JPG.16577d177db0dc158854492e163f821f.JPG

and same in paint (of course, without transparency because it's paint...):

copy-image-from-firefox-to-paint.JPG.fd171192244aaa196fd1d94d2c010f73.JPG

Same behavior also occurs in AD

Hi RosomakPL,

I can't recreate these issues and Unfortunately the 1st and 4th links don't work the 1st one gives me a 404 error and the 4th one takes me to a google search result so its hard for me to see which image it was that you were working with. If possible could you provide screen recordings of the issues?

Thanks

Callum

I get the same results using Firefox. But using Edge in Win 10 works perfectly. So I presume that Firefox could be the culprit, and not Photo.

Windows 10 - Intel i7-8700 - 16GB Ram - nVidia GTX1060

Thanks for your answer Callum.
I'm using windows 7. Unfortunately I do not have a screen recording function

I checked the links that I gave. it looks that it works properly (screenshots below).
Below I paste them again as linked text. For First and second scenario:

First and second scenario

image.thumb.png.d088e9b0d111384ac13a7e41d59d14db.png

Third scenario

Yes, it's a google result. Copying image (right muse button -> copy image option)
from here gives the effect I have described:

image.thumb.png.e401d3dd12a9e6d1475758054849f831.png

@AlainP Thanks for confirmation! I agree that this may look like a problem with a Firefox, but this problem does not occur in other graphics programs.
I gave Paint example but in Photoshop, Sketchbook or Krita you can't see file path but the image. I think AP/AD is not doing well here.

26 minutes ago, RosomakPL said:

I'm using windows 7. Unfortunately I do not have a screen recording function

How to Use the Windows 7 Problem Steps Recorder

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.9.81 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.3.44 • iOS 12.1 (iPad Air 2)

@Callum Some time has passed. I wanted to ask if you were able to test the links that I gave in my second post? The first and second links were the same. Strange that you got 404 on the first one. I think that you have made a mistake by checking in a hurry. Did my post with explanation help you check the problem?

Alfred, thanks for the hint. I still can't see this option. Maybe it's a language version.  But recreating the activities I've described is trivial and I don't think it would require recording movies. It's just clicking on links and copying images. Nothing special. AlainP confirmed my observation. So my description was not so bad :-)

Hi RosomakPL,

I still can't recreate this issue using FireFox with the links provided unfortunately.

Thanks

Callum

I found a recording program. It's not the one you asked  but I'm hoping it will be good too.
Here is the video record.
Please note that I do not use the "copy url address" option but right one: "copy image:
Different result each time:
1. drag-drop
2. copy picture and paste to AD
3. Picture displayed by google and method copy picture and paste to ad

I would like this operation to work every time as in option 2. Pasted PNG image with preserved transparency.

This is not on the film, but in the last option, using CTRL+V in Paint will paste the image. So there is a picture in the clipboard

Thank you for posting the video. This issue doesn't occur on Mac only on Windows which is why I was having trouble recreating it. I have logged both problems with our developers to be fixed in a future update.

Thanks

Callum