You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking ... why no 100% brush?

Doing some masking for a project, but what I have noticed is that none of the brushes will give me an actual 100% fil when working with a mask.

I have to paint the area multiple times even though the opacity is set to 100%, the flow is set to 100% and even the hardness is set to 100% When painting, there is always a halo in areas that I'm trying to mask out or a small bit of transparency to areas I'm trying to show.

Have I missed a setting???

Also, make sure Wet Edges is not selected in the context toolbar

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

That is how I use the tool ... opacity slider under the color panel 100% ... opacity slider for the brush 100% ... colors either 255,255,255 or 0,0,0 ... wet edges --- don't remember turning that on as I have no idea how to use it or when it would be of use, but it was turned on. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Smee Again said:

…wet edges --- don't remember turning that on as I have no idea how to use it or when it would be of use, but it was turned on. Thanks.

If you're going through the list of brushes and select a brush such as Daub Gouaches > Fine Gouache (which has 'Wet Edges' set to 'Set Wet Edges On' in the brush settings), when you select a different brush such as Basic > Round Brush (which has 'Wet Edges' set to 'Don't Set Wet Edges' in the brush settings), it will keep the wet edges setting (and blend mode too) from that previous brush.

I don't particularly like this, so for my own brushes—some of which are duplicates of default brushes; just stored in my own categories folder—I always set a 'Blend Mode' and 'Wet Edges' setting in the brush settings rather then leaving it set to 'Don't set', that way they don't carry over settings from a previous brush.

Thanks for the tip ... I seldom "paint" beyond working with masks so I've been using the basic brushes --- solid, 100% opacity, 100% flow (mostly), hardness 80-100% (depending on what I"m working on). I had just converted my daughter from using Serif PhotoPlus X4 to using Corel's Paintshop Pro 2018 before I purchased Affinity. She's been curious about the difference and may have tinkered with it while I was at work.

At least I know now what I was seeing and can remedy it if I see it again.

Thanks to everyone who helped.