You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sample Documents for Publisher - Where?

Wow, yeah it's actually 482MB. On my old Sky internet connection that would have taken around 11 minutes to download (if it was running at peak performance the whole time). An estimate of the size of the file really needs to be shown on the Samples panel so people have some idea of what they'll be getting into before they request a download.

• 8 months later...
On 10/27/2018 at 3:46 PM, GaryLearnTech said:

It was probably this that you saw:  from the Help menu, select Welcome.  The main panel fills the left two-thirds of the Welcome panel while the box at the top right is titled View Samples - click this and it redraws the Welcome panel.  The Samples view has a link which invites you to download a 254MB sample Affinity Brochure.

A link? Where? I don’t see any link. If I click on a sample (there are two), it pops up a little cloud with a red x in the middle. If I click on it again, the pop-up disappears, but I certainly see no link to download the sample(s).

Here is what it looks like at first:

samples.thumb.png.a94b06208d44b035e235f787a12f3a8e.png

And here it is after I click on the Lifestyle Magazine thing:

samples2.thumb.png.e5316552f8bfe988fb43147406081f0e.png

And if I click on that, it just goes back to what it looked like at first.

So, how do I download a sample (and where does it save it at)?

And now, it suddenly popped this up:

sample3.thumb.png.00c78a1836dc78831b83f888ffe71d19.png

And that makes no sense because all it showed me was what I showed above, clearly indicating an error. It has not asked me where to save it to, either. I surely hope it does not presume I want it saved somewhere in my C: drive, because if so, I want a full refund. Any software that assumes it is OK to clutter my system disk is produced by a bunch of incompetents.

18 minutes ago, AdamStanislav said:

. It has not asked me where to save it to, either. I surely hope it does not presume I want it saved somewhere in my C: drive, because if so, I want a full refund.

It goes into your Appdata folder. 

By default that's assigned by Windows to c:\users\your_username\appdata\roaming\ and then Publisher uses the appropriate subfolder affinity\publisher\1.0\samples as the storage location.

If you don't want applications using the Windows-supplied location to store their data you can move the entire structure, or portions of it, to some other location.

If you haven't done that already and you want to, do a web search for a set of terms like move Windows Appdata folder.

By the way, when you clicked on that sample to download it, you should have seen a blue progress bar. When it's complete, clicking again opens the document. While it's open and active, you can find it on disk by using the menu command File > Locate in File Explorer (or something like that).

I'm not sure why your download failed. Possibly a firewall or network issue.

Finally, if you really want a refund, and you're within the refund window for the store you bought it from you can get one. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Alas, Windows refuses to move the Appdata folder. And yes, I tried it, but the instructions do not work. Even if it did, no software should just download anything without first asking where to save it to.

No, I did not see a blue progress bar.

I just bought it two days ago, from the Affinity web site. I will test and see if I can live with the annoyance. Since there are only two sample files, I will just live without them. But I would strongly urge Serif programmers not to decide where to download files without asking. I only have 20 GB of free space on drive C: precisely because so many programmers act without asking. I am a programmer myself (started back in 1965), so I do know what I am talking about.

7 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

No, I did not see a blue progress bar.

But you also had issues downloading it, which may explain the lack of the progress bar.

If you look in %appdata%\affinity\publisher\1.0\samples do you see any files? If so, you could open the file directly from there (if it's compete) rather than opening through the Welcome screen. You could also move it to someplace you prefer.

Edit: Also, regarding moving Appdata: Some versions of the instructions don't have you move the complete folder, they just have you move Roaming, or individual applications' subfolders. That's done by creating symlinks.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

No, %appdata%etc is there but is empty.

I have symlinks for both of my program files folders, so whenever some inconsiderate programmer installs software without asking (yes, that still happens in this century), it still goes to D:. But really, would it kill Serif to pop up a simple save-file window that comes with Windows and has come since Windows was running under MS DOS?

I think Serif might have done it this way to specifically try and stop people saving the document.
Basically: “You can have a play with this and see how it’s done but we don’t want you to be able to make your own copy/version of it”.
Some of the samples come from outside of Serif – from very generous users letting us see how they put their fantastic creations together – so there could be copyright/plagiarism issues if people could save the samples like normal documents.

58 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I think Serif might have done it this way to specifically try and stop people saving the document.
Basically: “You can have a play with this and see how it’s done but we don’t want you to be able to make your own copy/version of it”.
Some of the samples come from outside of Serif – from very generous users letting us see how they put their fantastic creations together – so there could be copyright/plagiarism issues if people could save the samples like normal documents.

The samples are protected with an internal flag that prevents saving, exporting, or printing. It doesn't matter where they are stored.

-- Walt
PC:

• 6 months later...
43 minutes ago, Schultz said:

I have affinity Publisher on my iMac. I clicked on the Lifestyle Magazine sample and downloaded it but I can't figure out where it went. Where does it download to on an iMac?

I don't think you really need to know where it went in order to use it. Once it's downloaded just click on it again in the Samples screen and it will open.

(But if you do want to know where it is, with it open you might have a File menu item to open the folder in Finder (I'm on Windows, but I think Mac has a similar option). That will tell you where it is.)

-- Walt
PC:

• 10 months later...

It looks like I'll do it the old fashioned way, use what publishing skill and knowledge I already have and apply it to Designer. If I can use Scribus and InDesign I can use any publishing software. I support and find Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer excellent and the connectivity with Designer is a master stroke. They are my primary programs.