You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overflow icon and Font list

Hi there,

many thanks to Affinity developer team for a fantastic application. I really love it so far. Maybe I have missed an answer regarding my topic already given in this forum, if so, sorry.

My suggestions are the following:

Overflow icon: Since the overflow icon is very small and sometimes even difficult to see, I would prefer the way it was placed in the old Pagemaker application from Aldus/later Adobe. 

It was placed at the bottom of the text frame and in the middle as well and it was indicated with a red + if there was a text overflow, if not it was empty. You just clicked the + and your curser changed into a simple text icon, you placed it on the page you wanted to link the text into and that's it. Very clear, clean and simple.

Font list: In the font list I would like to see the five most recently used fonts in the same way as in so many other applications. That would make it much easier instead of the long scrolling list when you chose fonts already used in your document.

And finally, of cource foot notes, end notes, cross references and book templates. Again many thanks for a good product.

There is a menu on the Character Studio which includes 'recent' and it is also present in the Font section of the Create Styles box. On the Context Tool bar it is kind of hidden, there are All, Recent, Used and Favourites available once you click the triangle next to the name of the font in the upper left.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 10/26/2018 at 12:39 PM, Curious7 said:

Are there any thoughts around my question regarding the text overflow icon?

I don't find it too small, and it's red which should make it stand out for most users. 

The text frame may become too small (short, top to bottom) for the icon to be displayed, though. In that case you won't know unless you have View > Show Text Flow enabled. With it enabled, when the text frame is not selected, it will have two red dots indicating the overflow.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I found out you can edit the size of the handlers in the settings, which also applies to the overflow dot. But I also saw, that when the frame is too small the text outside is still visible. Is that intended? That applies for the preview mode as well as for the working mode with every special characters and margin visible. 

I would definitely report that as a bug as it might lead to unwanted cut text even with the red overflow icon. At the first glance without any textframe activated, it appears just fine but isn't.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-03 um 09.22.27.png

5 hours ago, Gigiga said:

But I also saw, that when the frame is too small the text outside is still visible. Is that intended? That applies for the preview mode as well as for the working mode with every special characters and margin visible. 

I would definitely report that as a bug as it might lead to unwanted cut text even with the red overflow icon.

Yes, it's intended.

You can see that the red eye icon (overflow) does not have a slash through it. That means that either:

1. You have clicked on the icon to show the overflow text; or
  2. In the Text Frame panel you have unchecked the "Hide overflow" option:

overflowoption.png.b4c5afd942abdda21cfa44978dfb6eb5.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

52 minutes ago, Gigiga said:

Thanks for the heads up. I think that should be definitely a default.

From what I've seen, Hide Overflow is the default (at least on Windows). However, as with other tools, the tool defaults can be changed and maybe you've done that. (Or, maybe Publisher on Mac has different defaults.)

-- Walt
PC:

It was my first run on AP and I just went with the defaults, on Mac. So no default checkmark here ;) 

As you mentioned the defaults for tools can be changed, I noticed that this setting is not default when I set it once. For every new text frame I have to define that the overflow is hidden. On Mac...

I guess that will be subject to the roadmap then.