You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Split) Discussion thread for "Affinity releases on each platform by store"

well said @levelbest

I will add, and I dont believe that Serif cant see who currently subscribes and that this stops them from moving a license from Apple to Windows or <-> ... with Serif being fully in control of the licensing this paves the way for at least a greater possibility of more licensing options.

platform swaps
Transfers of the active license to another user, if permitted by Serifs Terms
One license for both Windows and Apple, with Serif permitting two active installs on any (meaning you can install on apple and windows with the same license, because some workflows are cross platform)

These arent just good ideas for consumer choice - it's important to consider how designers work and how the product will be used.

2 hours ago, someguy said:

what do you do when licensing issues arise and apple removes your software without a refund or the ability to redownload?
what do you do when your apple ID is deleted, removed, locked without your ability to re-access it, etc?
what do you do when Apples MAS terms become unfavorable to serif and that relationship ends?

No idea where you are getting your info but Apple can't remove apps sold through the MAS from users' Macs. In fact, Apple encourages users to backup all their software, including MAS purchases, in part because it may not be available for download at some point in the future. MAS app receipts are generated on installation -- after that it doesn't matter what the status of a user's Apple ID is. On the rare occasion that there is a problem with an Apple ID, you would need to contact Apple about that, but unless you never plan on updating the OS you would need to do that anyway. The MAS Affinity apps are consistent best sellers and Apple Editor's Choices, so it is extremely unlikely either Apple or Serif would do anything to make that relationship unfavorable.

You are grasping at straws, looking for problems that either don't exist or could easily be resolved. If this was not the case, the MAS would not be the huge success that it is, used with confidence by tens of millions of people around the world.

2 hours ago, levelbest said:

And, unless I am mistaken, there are no sales allowed on the app store.

You are mistaken. I am one of many who has bought Affinity (& several other apps) on sale through the MAS. Among others, Serif offers sales occasionally, typically to celebrate a new product release or a milestone. If you sign up for the newsletter, you will be informed of such things.

Regarding the subscription model, the staff have repeatedly mentioned that Serif has no intention of or interest in making the Affinity apps available by subscription. It is also mentioned in almost all of the promotional info the company releases.

3 hours ago, someguy said:

I will add, and I dont believe that Serif cant see who currently subscribes and that this stops them from moving a license from Apple to Windows or <->

Then, apart from Affinity apps not being sold by subscription, you also do not believe what the staff have said many, many times about Serif not having access to who bought them through MAS, or that Apple & other third party sellers have said the same thing.

All that said, I agree that choice is good, & so does Serif, which is why they now make the Mac apps available for purchase directly from the Affinity Store. If they ever decide to offer cross-platform licenses, we will have to wait & see how they are priced, what they allow, & what if any additional anti-piracy or security measures are involved.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

I have split this discussion off and locked the original thread (well actually I lost the original thread, but the posts are here).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 10/24/2018 at 11:55 PM, R C-R said:

IMO, having to keep track of & enter a bunch of different product activation keys is just a hassle I prefer to avoid.

Laziness is the beginning of all problems. It might be more convenient to have one master password for everything but if there is a security breach then everything you use this for is at risk. It might also be more convenient to have your ID, social security, driver’s license, and debit card functionality on one single card (or even on your smartphone, together with all communication you’ve ever done) but if that’s stolen or lost, you lose your whole life and have a lot of trouble getting back on track.

Sometimes, minor inconveniences, especially if they are barely worth mentioning (e. g. how often do you have to re-enter your product activation key anywhere?), aren’t even worth the lengths to go through in order to eliminate them.

I've bought Designer (and Photo) from serif. I have version 1.6.5.123 and according to the posts the latest version is 135.

Nowhere in the program it says I can update. Which I would like very much, seeing the program freezes up a lot.

How/where can I get the program updated?

I found the store and download option. The question remaining is why the program doesn't mention that an update was available?

Edited by Denelan
found download

5 minutes ago, Denelan said:

I've bought Designer (and Photo) from serif. I have version 1.6.5.123 and according to the posts the latest version is 135.

Nowhere in the program it says I can update. Which I would like very much, seeing the program freezes up a lot.

How/where can I get the program updated?

From postings made by Serif, .135 is functionally identical to .123. The only difference is that .135 includes a new installer that works more reliably on Windows than the installer in .123.

Therefore, there should be no reason to update at this time if you have .123, but if you want to you can download them from your Affinity account. Go to https://affinity.store then click the Sign In button (if you're not already signed in), then click on your name (next to the Sign Out button), then click on Downloads & Product  Keys.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

From postings made by Serif, .135 is functionally identical to .123. The only difference is that .135 includes a new installer that works more reliably on Windows than the installer in .123.

@Patrick Connor explained here that build 135 brings the trial installation and real version installation into the same executable (so that you can go from trial to purchase without the need for a separate download).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)