Jump to content
Chaeze

Copying text on a scanned photocopy document

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I have a question.
I just recently started testing Affinity Photo and would like to know how you can copy the style of the text (without identifying font) and replace a word on the existing document.
It's a scanned version of a photocopy of a document.
So let's say I want to replace the word SUSPENDISSE with AFFINITY and everything else remains the same (See attached document as an example)
How would do that? First I'd need to erase the word and then afterwards use the clone brush tool and find all the letters you need one by one and and paste it on top of SUSPENDISSE?

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 2.03.19 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Chaeze,

Welcome to the forums. 

14 hours ago, Chaeze said:

First I'd need to erase the word and then afterwards use the clone brush tool and find all the letters you need one by one and and paste it on top of SUSPENDISSE?

That's about right. Or, alternatively, you can straighten the page, get each letter of the alphabet and create a "sample" on its own layer so you can use it later. It's going to be a long, manual process or aligning and positioning everything so that it looks ok. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would clean up and straighten my image, then fire up my copy of Omnipage to convert it to real text with a close approximation of the actual font.

John


Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and Designer 1.6.5.123, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I would clean up and straighten my image, then fire up my copy of Omnipage to convert it to real text with a close approximation of the actual font.

John

I think the OP wants to retain the original document (i.e. still looking like an aged and scanned document) but just change one word on it

Like a forger may try to change the name on a will or the deeds to a house to his/her own

 

scanned2.png


Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Chaeze,

I deleted "SUSPENDISSE DUI PURUS:" with the "Clone Brush Tool" and then typed "AFFINITY DUI PURUS:" and put this text in its place by tilting it. I took the color with the "pipette" tool, added a "Stroke" of 0.05pt and put a very light Gaussian blur (0.05 px).

Suspendisse_2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done, probably faster than using Omnipage!

John


Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and Designer 1.6.5.123, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 11:59 AM, reglico said:

Hello Chaeze,

I deleted "SUSPENDISSE DUI PURUS:" with the "Clone Brush Tool" and then typed "AFFINITY DUI PURUS:" and put this text in its place by tilting it. I took the color with the "pipette" tool, added a "Stroke" of 0.05pt and put a very light Gaussian blur (0.05 px).

Suspendisse_2.png

That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

My question is: how did you identify the font? Was that just through the "Clone Brush Tool" as I had described in my first post?
I tried to do what you wrote in your post but had a hard time repeating the result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaeze said:

My question is: how did you identify the font? Was that just through the "Clone Brush Tool" as I had described in my first post?
I tried to do what you wrote in your post but had a hard time repeating the result.

I didn't really identify the font, I looked in the ones I own one that could match and I found Calibri Bold, I put it at 6 pt.
I forgot to mention in my message yesterday that I put the text layer blend on "Multiply" to make it a little darker.

If you really want to identify the font, you may be able to do a search with WhatTheFont! on MyFonts.com or another site that offers the same service, but you may get a lot of possibilities and you may have trouble choosing the best match. On the other hand, if the document is old and pre-computer dated, the font may not have an exact equivalent on a computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2018 at 11:56 AM, reglico said:

I didn't really identify the font, I looked in the ones I own one that could match and I found Calibri Bold, I put it at 6 pt.
I forgot to mention in my message yesterday that I put the text layer blend on "Multiply" to make it a little darker.

If you really want to identify the font, you may be able to do a search with WhatTheFont! on MyFonts.com or another site that offers the same service, but you may get a lot of possibilities and you may have trouble choosing the best match. On the other hand, if the document is old and pre-computer dated, the font may not have an exact equivalent on a computer.

Can you replicate all of that on the iOS version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaeze said:

Can you replicate all of that on the iOS version?

Well, all the tools are there to do the same thing but why would you want to make life so hard?

The iPad is hardly the best tool for playing with text.

BTW, I think the closest font is Arial but I am using an iPad at the moment so it’s hard to do a side by side comparison.


Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, toltec said:

BTW, I think the closest font is Arial but I am using an iPad at the moment so it’s hard to do a side by side comparison.

I’m also using an iPad at the moment and I don’t think it’s that hard to do a comparison!

Arial:

AC63AF66-FC8B-488C-99E1-FFA532369B5D.thumb.png.60720fe7f8137a93b27f7b819740adef.png

Calibri:

97E9D056-69ED-4D8E-A7B0-2DE5E4866656.thumb.png.8ca30c57bf93491e4a2b66da65d2babc.png

 

I agree that Arial is a close match, certainly closer than Calibri. Look at the curved terminals on the S and the much wider counters (‘holes’) in the P and the R.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I’m also using an iPad at the moment and I don’t think it’s that hard to do a comparison!

 

I meant that it was hard for me to match Arial font to the scanned image, as posted on the forum.

I lack skills :(


Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys have been amazing. Thanks for all the feedback.
I've been attempting to do the same but to no avail.
I've seen others do this in Photoshop and everything went fast, smooth and looked great.
Oh well, I'll continue practicing and familiarize with all these tools and features -- I'll get there soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×