You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying text on a scanned photocopy document

Hello all,

I have a question.
I just recently started testing Affinity Photo and would like to know how you can copy the style of the text (without identifying font) and replace a word on the existing document.
It's a scanned version of a photocopy of a document.
So let's say I want to replace the word SUSPENDISSE with AFFINITY and everything else remains the same (See attached document as an example)
How would do that? First I'd need to erase the word and then afterwards use the clone brush tool and find all the letters you need one by one and and paste it on top of SUSPENDISSE?

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 2.03.19 PM.png

• Staff

Hi @Chaeze,

Welcome to the forums. 

14 hours ago, Chaeze said:

First I'd need to erase the word and then afterwards use the clone brush tool and find all the letters you need one by one and and paste it on top of SUSPENDISSE?

That's about right. Or, alternatively, you can straighten the page, get each letter of the alphabet and create a "sample" on its own layer so you can use it later. It's going to be a long, manual process or aligning and positioning everything so that it looks ok. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

I would clean up and straighten my image, then fire up my copy of Omnipage to convert it to real text with a close approximation of the actual font.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

30 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I would clean up and straighten my image, then fire up my copy of Omnipage to convert it to real text with a close approximation of the actual font.

John

I think the OP wants to retain the original document (i.e. still looking like an aged and scanned document) but just change one word on it

Like a forger may try to change the name on a will or the deeds to a house to his/her own

scanned2.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hello Chaeze,

I deleted "SUSPENDISSE DUI PURUS:" with the "Clone Brush Tool" and then typed "AFFINITY DUI PURUS:" and put this text in its place by tilting it. I took the color with the "pipette" tool, added a "Stroke" of 0.05pt and put a very light Gaussian blur (0.05 px).

Suspendisse_2.png

On 10/26/2018 at 11:59 AM, reglico said:

Hello Chaeze,

I deleted "SUSPENDISSE DUI PURUS:" with the "Clone Brush Tool" and then typed "AFFINITY DUI PURUS:" and put this text in its place by tilting it. I took the color with the "pipette" tool, added a "Stroke" of 0.05pt and put a very light Gaussian blur (0.05 px).

Suspendisse_2.png

That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

My question is: how did you identify the font? Was that just through the "Clone Brush Tool" as I had described in my first post?
I tried to do what you wrote in your post but had a hard time repeating the result.

1 hour ago, Chaeze said:

My question is: how did you identify the font? Was that just through the "Clone Brush Tool" as I had described in my first post?
I tried to do what you wrote in your post but had a hard time repeating the result.

I didn't really identify the font, I looked in the ones I own one that could match and I found Calibri Bold, I put it at 6 pt.
I forgot to mention in my message yesterday that I put the text layer blend on "Multiply" to make it a little darker.

If you really want to identify the font, you may be able to do a search with WhatTheFont! on MyFonts.com or another site that offers the same service, but you may get a lot of possibilities and you may have trouble choosing the best match. On the other hand, if the document is old and pre-computer dated, the font may not have an exact equivalent on a computer.

On 10/28/2018 at 11:56 AM, reglico said:

I didn't really identify the font, I looked in the ones I own one that could match and I found Calibri Bold, I put it at 6 pt.
I forgot to mention in my message yesterday that I put the text layer blend on "Multiply" to make it a little darker.

If you really want to identify the font, you may be able to do a search with WhatTheFont! on MyFonts.com or another site that offers the same service, but you may get a lot of possibilities and you may have trouble choosing the best match. On the other hand, if the document is old and pre-computer dated, the font may not have an exact equivalent on a computer.

Can you replicate all of that on the iOS version?

1 hour ago, Chaeze said:

Can you replicate all of that on the iOS version?

Well, all the tools are there to do the same thing but why would you want to make life so hard?

The iPad is hardly the best tool for playing with text.

BTW, I think the closest font is Arial but I am using an iPad at the moment so it’s hard to do a side by side comparison.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

3 hours ago, toltec said:

BTW, I think the closest font is Arial but I am using an iPad at the moment so it’s hard to do a side by side comparison.

I’m also using an iPad at the moment and I don’t think it’s that hard to do a comparison!

Arial:

AC63AF66-FC8B-488C-99E1-FFA532369B5D.thumb.png.60720fe7f8137a93b27f7b819740adef.png

Calibri:

97E9D056-69ED-4D8E-A7B0-2DE5E4866656.thumb.png.8ca30c57bf93491e4a2b66da65d2babc.png

I agree that Arial is a close match, certainly closer than Calibri. Look at the curved terminals on the S and the much wider counters (‘holes’) in the P and the R.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I’m also using an iPad at the moment and I don’t think it’s that hard to do a comparison!

I meant that it was hard for me to match Arial font to the scanned image, as posted on the forum.

I lack skills :(

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

You guys have been amazing. Thanks for all the feedback.
I've been attempting to do the same but to no avail.
I've seen others do this in Photoshop and everything went fast, smooth and looked great.
Oh well, I'll continue practicing and familiarize with all these tools and features -- I'll get there soon.