You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text overflow not always appearing

If you pay attention, the arrow indicator doesn't show up on the second one before you start resizing it either.  It only turns red when there is an overflow, but it is always there when the box is selected... in this case it isn't showing up either way because the box is too short - there is no room to display the indicator.

This seems like more of a design issue than a bug, because it artificially limits access to that control for a text box that is below a certain height.

Hi gordo

The text frame have a display threshold for various elements. If things such as the link handles and the overflow do not have room to be displayed  between the frames' transform handles then it will be hidden. If you zoom into your document slightly you should see these appear as there will be more room to display them, crossing the display threshold

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

If the text is being cut you should see 2 red dots on the bounding box for the text frame once the text frame is deselected (no matter how small the text frame is).

You will also get a warning when trying to print the document saying...

"One or more text frames have overflowing text"

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

No red dots for me.

There is an inconsistency in how the text boxes work.

Video "Text box 1" shows that sometimes you can make the text box shorter and the box gets shorter but the text doesn't disappear.

But sometimes it works properly.

Video "Text box 2" shows that sometimes you can make the text box shorter and the box gets shorter and the text does disappear. Note also that the red flag briefly shows but then disappears as the box gets shorter. However, no red dots appear.

You need to have Show Text Flow enabled in the View menu for the red dots to show up.

Clicking on the eyeball icon next to the overflow indicator on the right side of the text box toggles clipping of the text vs. allowing it to overflow the container - if you look closely it is crossed out in the second video but not in the first, so this is intended behavior.

20 minutes ago, fde101 said:

You need to have Show Text Flow enabled in the View menu for the red dots to show up.

Clicking on the eyeball icon next to the overflow indicator on the right side of the text box toggles clipping of the text vs. allowing it to overflow the container - if you look closely it is crossed out in the second video but not in the first, so this is intended behavior.

Ah, a user bug. I'll have to talk to my developers about it.LOL

I've never had that option with other apps so I never looked for it.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.