You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

scroll speed is too slow on pages

2 hours ago, someguy said:

scroll speed is too slow on pages

When I scroll over pages in the pages menu, the speed seems extremely slow. Anyone else experience this? IMO, it should be quicker.

Do you mean the Pages Studio? Slow and Quick are relative terms so fine for me would be slow for you and too quick for a third person. I find it to be just fine, a bit quick at times. I do wish the previews would draw faster though.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I had reported once the same feeling.

For me it is scrolling very "slowly".

And no support for Middle-Mouse-fast-scrolling

Mouse: Logitech G602

Windows 10 1803

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

I guess it could be a system issue perhaps rather than an AP problem, but I don't know. It's super quick for me... :-)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 1 year later...

This still seems slow to me (in Affinity Publisher 1.8.2). Compared to how this forum scrolls for example (and anything else actually), the pages / spreads studio scrolls way too slow. Looks like it scrolls only one line at a time, disregarding the global scroll settings.

Branding, Identity Design, UI/UX Design.    |    https://whitex.design

• 1 month later...

I agree! I have all the apps on all platforms (Mac, PadOS, Win) - and the page scrolling (and navigation - compared to Mac) in Publisher for Windows is slow. I know that hardware etc. impacts performance - but I am comparing Publisher (on the same laptop - Win) with InDesign (that old dinosaur of an dtp) - and the scrolling in InDesign is actually better in my eyes! But that's about the only thing I prefer in InDesign over Publisher :-)

• 1 year later...

This is still a problem in Affinity Publisher ver. 1.10.5. 

It's not just the pages panel, but also the actual text pages (unless you've selected the scroll button for zoom in the setting). See my attached film.

Turning the scroll wheel as much as I can with one finger movement, my current book pages page move down 8 lines of text when I'm at 100% zoom level in 11 p font size and 14 p leading. That's not good for my wrists, and I find no way to speed it up. Other programs on my computer (word processing software, Windows Explorer, Web browsers) scroll much more for each movement on the scroll wheel.

This problem has nothing to with hardware, since you can scroll the pages panel using the scrollbar, and that is not sluggish at all, and you can use the Space+Mouse-button  shortcut to get the quick hand tool to move around on the page (also super quick).

Please add some speed to the scroll wheel scrolling, or make it a setting.

Here is a film. For each scroll movement I demonstrate in the film, I put my finger at the furthest point of the mouse wheel, and pull it towards me as far as possible. Still there is not more effect in the document than this.

https://youtube.com/shorts/VW_9gFyy-Q4

8 hours ago, Andreas1974 said:

This is still a problem in Affinity Publisher ver. 1.10.5. 

It's not just the pages panel, but also the actual text pages (unless you've selected the scroll button for zoom in the setting). See my attached film.

Turning the scroll wheel as much as I can with one finger movement, my current book pages page move down 8 lines of text when I'm at 100% zoom level in 11 p font size and 14 p leading. That's not good for my wrists, and I find no way to speed it up. Other programs on my computer (word processing software, Windows Explorer, Web browsers) scroll much more for each movement on the scroll wheel.

This problem has nothing to with hardware, since you can scroll the pages panel using the scrollbar, and that is not sluggish at all, and you can use the Space+Mouse-button  shortcut to get the quick hand tool to move around on the page (also super quick).

Please add some speed to the scroll wheel scrolling, or make it a setting.

Here is a film. For each scroll movement I demonstrate in the film, I put my finger at the furthest point of the mouse wheel, and pull it towards me as far as possible. Still there is not more effect in the document than this.

FYI, you can upload videos directly to this forum, no need for YouTube.

I know you're on Windows but FWIW on macOS using a Logitech MX Anywhere 3 mouse (without Logitech's software installed), and with my document at 100%, one scroll of the scroll wheel will scroll my page 8 inches if the scroll wheel is on ratchet (notched) mode. If I toggle it to free scrolling, I can make it scroll multiple pages with one scroll of the scroll wheel. And turning back to the Pages panel, with free scrolling I can make it scroll 40 page spreads with one scroll of the scroll wheel.

So either the issue you're reporting is specific to Windows or you should look at your mouse configuration. If you have the option to turn off ratchet scrolling, give it a try.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

43 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

FYI, you can upload videos directly to this forum, no need for YouTube.

I know you're on Windows but FWIW on macOS using a Logitech MX Anywhere 3 mouse (without Logitech's software installed), and with my document at 100%, one scroll of the scroll wheel will scroll my page 8 inches if the scroll wheel is on ratchet (notched) mode. If I toggle it to free scrolling, I can make it scroll multiple pages with one scroll of the scroll wheel. And turning back to the Pages panel, with free scrolling I can make it scroll 40 page spreads with one scroll of the scroll wheel.

So either the issue you're reporting is specific to Windows or you should look at your mouse configuration. If you have the option to turn off ratchet scrolling, give it a try.

Well... I did upload the mov file to this page, since I saw it had been done before. I waited for about 10 minutes after posting, but I still just got an error message that the file was missing and that I should contact the administrators about it. perhaps you know something that I don't.

Ratchet or notched... Well, I changed the effect of each little click "hatch"? to give each cog the effect of scrolling 80 lines instead of my normal setting of 8. It made all other programs scroll like crazy, but had no effect whatsoever in Affinity Publisher. This piece of software doesn not use the mouse system settings from Windows OS. I think I read that from someone else too, one of all the others complaining about the same thing... ever since 2017...?

I've got an old MS Intellimouse Explorer, no additional software for it installed. All other software has normal scroll speed. Just like all the other users say (probably Windows users)... 

image.png.8238aff927f42145fa0e078da14b1ec5.png

• 1 month later...